Pitching from the mound issues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2015
Hey guys, my DD (11) has been pitching for almost 2 years now but has recently converted to IR. She looks good while throwing from 9o'clock and the K position. Hip snap and brush look pretty good while doing drills but when she throws from the mound at approx. 50% her mechanics seems to fall apart and the ball is going everywhere. I am not letting her go 100% yet because I feel if she cant do it at 50% she cant do it at 100%. Am I on the right track here? Any suggestions?

Sep 10, 2013
this is typical. my dd has the same issue and she's been pitching about 4 years now. started the conversion to I/R about 2 years back. all i can say is to don't give up.
what you can do have your dd pitch into a tarp at closer distances, making sure the mechanics are good, then progressively move further.
is my DD still having this issue now? yes! and we're continuing to work on it.
good luck

Nov 18, 2013
Try having her throw from a circle instead. The drop from the "mound" would be difficult for any softball pitcher. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'd have her go 100%. Give her a bucket of balls so you don't have to chase all the misses and just have her keep at it. It'll come to her.

May 12, 2008
Worth trying. Just don't do it throwing to a target. Have her throw against a wall so she can relax and let the mechanic flow without worrying about hitting a glove.

Sep 29, 2014
^^^^Agreed, you have to let her throw 100% without doing that no matter how many drills she does she cant get the timing she needs going full speed at full distance. It does not have to look pretty at first. Also make sure you use a good camera and let her throw for 5 or10 minutes full speed after doing numerous drill. Then after your session is over review the video then tomorrow focus your drills on the things you notice in the video. do side and behind don't try to watch her while you are catching that a great way to get hurt. You could have her pitch to a target but I think they always like pitching to a glove the best, unless by everywhere you mean over the backstop.

Jan 29, 2015
Lots of good stuff here. I guess its time to start shooting video! No pitches have been over the back stop yet. She is just not hitting the strike zone. I guess this is to be expected while going through major pitching mechanic changes. I will continue to take it slow and steady. I have previously fallen into the trap of wanting a lot of progress very quickly. This was the first time I had her pitch from the mound since changing to IR. We will continue to hammer out the drills and shoot some video. Hopefully it all works out!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Go full motion/full speed .... get Chinese jump rope with 2 Tee's. Bring them back to about 10' in front of where she releases. Set the height where it has to be
to end up in zone down @ HomePlate... For North/ South.... East/West get glove to target.....JMHO :cool:

May 13, 2012
Rick Pauly clinic he said something to the effect, you learn to pitch up here (15 20 ft) doing drills and reps not back there (pointing to pitching rubber). That really stuck in my mind.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Rick Pauly clinic he said something to the effect, you learn to pitch up here (15 20 ft) doing drills and reps not back there (pointing to pitching rubber). That really stuck in my mind.

Yea... I know. My response is for someone that's going to throw into tarp...not that its wrong, but it can be calibrated. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd