PITCHERS who look like they dont care in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
See this with freshman pitchers who are not accustomed to the pressure at the college level. They are just barely becoming adults with the pressures of being on TV and scrutinized by a coaching staff that has to focus on winning every game. It is a big role for them to take on.
Yes also think that happens.
They become overwhelmed and lose composure not knowing what to do and get into a state of giving up.
( could look like not caring
* appearance-wise.)
Mentally exhausted they may lose focus and it shows.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Who remembers Matty Moss? Pitcher at Tennessee. I really enjoyed watching her pitch. She was a pepper pot. Like @JayW said. Players should act how there personality dictates. However, I know some pitchers are really crying inside when they have a blow up inning.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Players should act how there personality dictates.
This another great topic!
Should they? 🤔
However, I know some pitchers are really crying inside when they have a blow up inning.
Yes I agree with that. With some pitchers would not know what's going on in the inside from looking at the outside.
Is that better?!
As a catcher I got to know and become familiar with what's on the inside as well as what we see on the outside. And that was very helpful!!!

Perhaps it's really a matter of what the coaches preference is? Because the coach dictates playing time?

However notice most is when pitchers visibly look like they have fallen apart or get to a point that they look like they don't care they get pulled from the game.

Sep 14, 2021
That's what my daughter was taught when she was pitching - show no emotion, be robotic and do your thing. Never let the batter even guess what you are thinking or what your emotions are.
I agree 100% but if my pitcher is a robot I want her to be a robot like Jordy Bahl. Her process is just intimidating, fast ball, change up, rise, it looks like she is coming to whoop some a$$ no matter the pitch.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I agree 100% but if my pitcher is a robot I want her to be a robot like Jordy Bahl. Her process is just intimidating, fast ball, change up, rise, it looks like she is coming to whoop some a$$ no matter the pitch.
'It looks like she is coming to whoop some Azz'
would not consider that robot like.
imo that is showing heart.

My interpretation of robot like is
even-keeled.
Possibly stoic is a good word.
Screenshot_20220325-064442_Chrome.jpg

Sep 14, 2021
'It looks like she is coming to whoop some Azz'
would not consider that robot like.
imo that is showing heart.

My interpretation of robot like is
even-keeled.
Possibly stoic is a good word.
I think (and that's a rare occurrence) that process is process, good batters follows a "robot like" process (not to harp on OU) but watch Jocelyn Alo at every at bat, long stretches that are the same between every at bat. Pitchers have the same processes regardless of the emotion exhibited, the important thing is that it is effective in getting the mind and body engaged in the next play. I watched to OU game the other night and it was like night and day with the pitchers, Bahl was as process oriented from the first pitch as the last, she was not visually reacting to the circumstances of the game, thus her process (robot like) is very aggressive looking regardless of what she might be feeling or thinking. the other pitcher looked, as you described, almost annoyed she had to pitch, (My opinion only and that was the first time I had seen her pitch so I don't know if that is just her process or she was visibly reacting to the circumstance of the game.)

May 17, 2012
Don't let them see you sad, upset, frustrated, pouting, rolling your eyes, etc.

Why not? As a pitcher I could care less what the hitter is feeling. Happy, sad, conflicted, lonely....what the hell does it matter?

I would say that as a pitcher I would be concerned with showing a reaction after every pitch call with regards to the umpire. Other than that it just doesn't matter...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Commented earlier that perhaps what may be more influential is what the coach wants as to whether or not emotion is shown on the field or not.

Because the coach has to make an interpretation of the player and is leading the dynamic or setting a standard on the field. And they divvy out playing time accordingly.

Even a positive assertion of emotion like showing heart can cross a line of getting overbearing in the other teams face.

For instance some coaches do not want their team celebrating at home plate when they hit a home run. That is something they do off to the side by their dugout. Or even very little celebration.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Why not? As a pitcher I could care less what the hitter is feeling. Happy, sad, conflicted, lonely....what the hell does it matter?

I would say that as a pitcher I would be concerned with showing a reaction after every pitch call with regards to the umpire. Other than that it just doesn't matter...

If the other team sees and senses weakness, they get stronger. It can motivate them, drive them, make them play better. You want to avoid that.

You've watched sports, we all have. When a team leader/player is rattled, it's not good for that team. This phenomenon has been around a long time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00