PITCHERS who look like they dont care in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
On the other hand, no one ever does better than their best, no matter how great of an attitude they display.
And...they can do worse than their best day.

Generally when people are having a good experience it is easier to put that positive generated energy back into the source that it is received from, in this case it would be hitting and winning.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My DD is considered stoic in the circle. If you watched her you would never know if her team was up 10 or down 10. She is a P5 committed pitcher. I once wondered if she loved the game enough, turns out she really does, a lot.

Does she look like she doesn’t care? I would say no, to me she’s just all business. Robotic and stoic does not equate to not caring. It’s just part of her personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for her! Have her P5 coaches commented to her demeanor?
Imagine they like having an
'all about business' stoic presence in the circle!

Sep 3, 2015
Good for her! Have her P5 coaches commented to her demeanor?
Imagine they like having an
'all about business' stoic presence in the circle!

Yes, a few schools commented. Some wanted more emotion and interaction with teammates. Some just focused on the results. DDs argument was that if a teammate made a nice play she didn’t have to be demonstrative in the circle, but will always acknowledge the good play on the way back in to the dugout or when the infield meets up after an out. It’s just her way. I’ve seen other similar pitchers.

Jul 4, 2013
And...they can do worse than their best day.
And if they struggle to perform, their attitude may reflect that. But I don't think they do worse than their best day because of their appearance in the circle. So it doesn't make sense to me to get to focused on their appearance.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
And if they struggle to perform, their attitude may reflect that. But I don't think they do worse than their best day because of their appearance in the circle. So it doesn't make sense to me to get to focused on their appearance.
Think when struggle shows on their face it is an expression that it is not their best day.

Especially when they're facial/body expression changes to struggle during the game.
It becomes a conquering momentum for the offense.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021
It's easy to make way too much of the effect "appearance" and "attitude" have on performance. People look at it like "once the stoic pitcher cracks, the advantage goes to the other team," but the stoic pitcher only broke because the other team was already getting to her. When we were younger, so many parents deemed it almost essential that the girls be up so that they could perform. The truth is, when they are performing, the girls are up. Performance and attitude presented may not be completely separate, but post 41 is true. Appearance or perceived attitude is much more an effect of performance than a cause.

Forgive me for mixing sports here, but one of my least favorite coaches that my daughter had was a volleyball coach who did not seem to be able to understand the impact the skill of the other team had on his own team. He's asking them about why they are down and playing so poorly, when the answer (to me at least) appeared to be that the speed of the game was way beyond our kids' ability. They were overmatched and they hated it and it showed. But their attitude had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

I can count on zero fingers the times that I have seen a pitcher just dealing, racking up k's, mowing them down, then she slipped and made a bad facial expression and lost the game. On the other hand, no one ever does better than their best, no matter how great of an attitude they display.

My girls (twins) play both: Catcher/outside and the pitcher is a setter. You see both attitudes come through. Pitcher controls the court while catcher ends the match with a spike. Fun times

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You know what I want? More demonstrative right fielders, I want a short stop who after the left fielder makes a play I want her to run out and hug her, I want the catcher to smile more…
Sounds kind of silly doesn’t it, why do we think a team should rely on the player in the most mentally demanding position to also be the emotional support dog for the whole team. Let the pitcher’s personality be what it is.

Do you know what makes a team feel more confident. Outs, if your pitcher helps provide those, the team will be happy and confident. No amount of “great attitude” will over come grooving pitches. I’ve never heard, wow that pitcher is throwing meatballs up there but we should leave her in because she has a great attitude about it.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Interesting the conversation came around to gambling.
Because gambling also has in it controlling the expression of emotion.
*the expression Poker-face came of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00