"They don’t care how much you know unless they know how much you care."

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
@BigSkyHi wrote, "As the old saying goes, they don’t care how much you know unless they know how much you care."

Considering I'm old as dirt., I'm surprised I hadn't heard this bit of wisdom before. But this is great advice.

A good coach demonstrates (1) that he cares about the kid and (2) that he cares about the game.

CARING ABOUT THE KID

As to caring about the kid, you have to understand the kid's motivation. Why is the kid doing this? What does the kid hope to get out of softball? Why is she showing up?

(HINT: Every kid wants to hit the ball with their parents watching.)

Then, you have to let the player know that you understand her and that you will help her achieve her goals.

CARING ABOUT THE GAME

"Caring about the game" means caring about all phases of the sport, not just the time you are on a field with umpires playing against the other team.

1) Show up early for practice and games.
2) The coach needs to work harder than any of the kids. I.e., you need to "hustle."
3) Make the practices fun...which, for kids, means (a) keep it moving and (b) let them talk (within reason, of course) when you are not instructing. There's literally a "buzz" that you should hear during a practice.
4) Have a clear plan for what you will do at practice.
5) End all cliques, no matter how big or how small.
6) Make all players feel welcome.
7) Have a sense of humor.
8) During games, you want the kids to be "classy."

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
I would add to #2 that a coach should be willing to do anything he/she is asking of the players. If you are doing jumping jacks, sprints, or whatever warmups, get out there and get after it from time to time.

Nothing drives me crazier than seeing an out-of-shape coach getting after players to hustle faster, be quicker, etc.

Lead the way coach.

Jan 8, 2019
@GunnerShotgun I would agree for those who are willingly so. But sometime, it’s not an option. Arthritic knees prevent me from running with the outfielders, but showing them that I’m willing if I were able, and still will put in as much effort as my body can take goes much further than the person just barking from the baseline.

Jan 8, 2019
Caring about your athletes comes from the notion that coaches are developing and influencing people, not just players.

I tell my teams that they are contributing something to the team at all times, and that it’s up to them whether it is something positive or not.

The same is true for coaches; we are contributing something to each kid’s life everyday we interact with them. It is up to us to make that be something positive!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28