PITCHERS who look like they dont care in the circle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Watching college games on ESPN noticed some pitchers who simply look like they absolutely don't care while they're in the circle.
They have no game face.
They have no physical posture that looks commanding.
( not talking about whether or not they should wear their emotions on their sleeve)
They actually look like they don't care what's happening with their pitches.
Even after throwing 4 wild pitches out of 6 to the same batter.
Or facing teams that are just using them for batting practice.
No perceived adjustments.

Perhaps this is just going through the motions and just being in it for the scholarship?

My comment about it,
Since the pitcher is holding the ball and about to start the next pitch for perhaps the next play of the game and it looks like you don't care...
Sets an undermining tone for your team.

Was hard to watch
Out of several games this weekend could clearly see other teams pitchers having commanding presence. While the other looked like they just rolled out of bed...

Anyone else noticing this?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Yeah I would guess that a college coach would probably know if their pitcher cares or not and if she didn't she probably wouldn't be out there. Everybody handles things differently, has different "presence" on the mound, etc. It isn't a pitcher's job to fire up her teammates.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Ohhh it was apparent in that game also?! wasn't watching that one...
At this point, I don't think any pitcher is looking forward to playing against OU. Ellam hit 2 HR's last night and hit 5 in a row going back to her last game...and she isn't the everyday catcher! 3 players each hit 2 HR's last night.

When a number 13 team gets trounced like that, it looks like OU are the queens eating cake and everyone else are the peasants scrounging for crumbs. The sheer physicality of that OU team is astonishing when standing next to the UK team. The nutritionist and S&C coaches are doing something different.

Jun 8, 2016
At this point, I don't think any pitcher is looking forward to playing against OU. Ellam hit 2 HR's last night and hit 5 in a row going back to her last game...and she isn't the everyday catcher! 3 players each hit 2 HR's last night.

When a number 13 team gets trounced like that, it looks like OU are the queens eating cake and everyone else are the peasants scrounging for crumbs. The sheer physicality of that OU team is astonishing when standing next to the UK team. The nutritionist and S&C coaches are doing something different.
I heard Brian Bosworth is their S&C coach....j/k

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
That's what my daughter was taught when she was pitching - show no emotion, be robotic and do your thing. Never let the batter even guess what you are thinking or what your emotions are.
But like you said never let the batter even guess what you're thinking.
What this post is about being able to look at a pitcher who visibly looks like they do not care.

No emotion with body presence.
That's different/opposite than a pitcher who has the look on their face and the body posture of someone who doesn't care.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019
That's what my daughter was taught when she was pitching - show no emotion, be robotic and do your thing. Never let the batter even guess what you are thinking or what your emotions are.
opposite of a young gun like Jordyn Bahl

Jun 8, 2016
Send them all to The Hague. I mean what was the point of this thread other than to crucify some 18-22 YO kids who you don’t know from Eve?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414