Charting pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
If your team (14u and above) is not charting pitches they are doing your pitchers a disservice.
1. What are you charting? (just location, or pitch type + location? Result of AB? swing and misses?)
2. Who's charting for you?
3. How are you charting? (pre-printed templates, scoring software?)
4. Do you call 100% of the pitches from the dugout? If not, do you use a different method? (such as location only)

Thanks. We're up to 12 on our roster now, so with 3 sitting the bench each inning, looking to maybe assign this to a player (or at least have them record whatever a coach relays to them).

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
1. What are you charting? (just location, or pitch type + location? Result of AB? swing and misses?)
2. Who's charting for you?
3. How are you charting? (pre-printed templates, scoring software?)
4. Do you call 100% of the pitches from the dugout? If not, do you use a different method? (such as location only)

Thanks. We're up to 12 on our roster now, so with 3 sitting the bench each inning, looking to maybe assign this to a player (or at least have them record whatever a coach relays to them).
1. Yes to all the questions
2. AC/PC Also no stupid wristbands and shouting out numbers. Using fingers to the face for signs. Never have had signs stolen. If we think they may be trying to steal signs we will change the indicator.
3. Pre-printed templates that PC devised himself.
4. Yes. If facing weaker competition we may allow the catcher to call some innings and try to chart by sight.

Our pitching coach utilizes prior ABs info and is like a mad scientist formulating the precise sequence that will keep batter off balance. We have good pitching too so that helps.

May 17, 2012
Do you think hitters can be better than random chance?

I think hitting is timing and pitching is disrupting that timing. If you want to disrupt timing being random is a great way to do that.

If you are armed with information/data you could be better than random chance. I am always interested in that discussion and like to hear what others do/think.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think hitting is timing and pitching is disrupting that timing. If you want to disrupt timing being random is a great way to do that.

If you are armed with information/data you could be better than random chance. I am always interested in that discussion and like to hear what others do/think.
I will give you an easy sequence example.
1st pitch, DB inside. Foul ball off her foot. Perfect.
2nd pitch, CB off the plate. Batter takes.
3rd pitch, rise ball inside. swing and a miss. Under the ball by 4 to 6 inches
4th pitch, I may waste one away (DB or CB 2 balls off the plate. Some players/teams will swing at almost anything with 2 strikes because if they go down looking they don't get another AB) but might just throw another rise ball inside and get it over with.
5th pitch, if I wasted one on 4th pitch, then rise ball inside for the K.

Another example. If batter is obviously late on first pitch rise ball. I am never throwing her a CU and giving her a chance. I will throw 3 straight rise ball. Go sit down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45