Pitchers hips?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
To me - being a corecentric fellow. Each movement is directed by core actions. Middle out. Hip snap or Core Torque (as I think Rick Pauly calls it) is all the same wrt to hitting or throwing or golfing or any other sport. It is what creates the overlap.

In windmill - the core torque moves the rear hip into the path of the arm giving you an environment of brush mechanics. Hitting with a core torque (or pulse as Dr Stuart McGill calls it) gets the rear hip out in front helping create a corner and the front hip out of the way. In golf I used to read a lot about a term called Squish and turn which is nothing more than a well timed pulse/core torque. OH throwing - same thing. Pulse/core torque at the right moment and rear hip leads the way as the upper body lags (bad choice for a word) behind to create overlap. Throw a punch. Same thing. Throw a 1" punch ala Bruce Lee and you better be pulsing to get the movement started.

Reverse engineering from the core torque is then the goal. Tendons and fascia play a huge role. Muscles are only capable of so much - ever see a gazelle leap and bound? Their muscle system cannot even come close to the heights and lengths they get. Kangaroos same thing. Tendons and fascia store the elastic energy.

Ever wonder why a slightly built Pedro Martinez could throw in the 90's? Or Yukiko Ueno could hit 70?

The one legged golfer is core torquing. Big time. And although he doesn't have a left lower leg he still has a left hip and his whole rear and core.

The pulse or core torque is a very sudden stiffening of the spinal column to protect it from getting damaged. It also allows the elastic energy in the fascia to transmit from the lower to upper and vice versa.

So, when you core torque (with a direction in mind) your glove arm quickly adducts which helps pull the drive hip forward via your fascia system. Could you do this without a core torque? Probably, but you would be leaving a whole bunch of energy out of the movement. Watch her belt loops and her throwing arm. Overlap. Arm going 12 to 6 as belt loops turn forward.

61%20-%20Yukiko%20Ueno_overlap.gif

In hitting - the moment you see those belt loops turning the core has torqued. The rear arm quickly adducts as the front hip pulls back. The barrel arcs rearward. There is no pulling across the body if the core pulses/torques. Overlap. Belt loops and barrel arc.

Qunz0V.gif

The reverse engineering is then about how to eliminate slack in the system right before the core torques so that the fascia system is storing energy waiting to be released in a cross dimensional manner.

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Ueno's move is wicked, where she starts to close her hip in mid air. Haven't seen anyone else move this way. There is a better gif, hopefully some can post it, front view, black uniform, slo motion. I'm trying to figure out if it's a core move or just her reopening her stride foot to land. Abbott just points her toe to home and goes.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'll go out on a limb and say that core torque is more of a result rather than a conscious effort. In most cases, if all else is well, the core will torque. Osterman and Ueno take it to the max while staying legal:

Rereading this and laughing! I really need to get a better grasp on physiological terms and concepts!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ueno's move is wicked, where she starts to close her hip in mid air. Haven't seen anyone else move this way. There is a better gif, hopefully some can post it, front view, black uniform, slo motion. I'm trying to figure out if it's a core move or just her reopening her stride foot to land. Abbott just points her toe to home and goes.

There are a number of pitchers who have found ways to generate extra torque (or power if I'm using the term wrong):
8e4da4d4-29a5-4ae3-9b52-7bc5f6383297.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/cd623621453b5c38eb47adbb4c12c15d/tumblr_nczcimwz6w1rfx9jqo1_1280.jpg
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.town...1e5-ba2d-e7409f62a26c/5705df472beb8.image.jpg

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm trying to figure out if it's a core move or just her reopening her stride foot to land. Abbott just points her toe to home and goes.

Core torque controlling distal members. Pitch dependent I would suspect as well.

I think it's both. The body working as a system, in sequence.

As I swing a bat, throw overhand or pitch in full motion, I feel the action of the limbs working with and against the core.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez