Pitcher Only

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
University of North Dakota (next fall)- she didnt want to go far away,(3 hrs) and it met all the particulars even for the "broken leg test". Had some wonderful offers but in the end its all her choice.

and on a side note, Dad likes it too as the Summit league is all within driving distance. Just the spring southern trips will need the flying

Congratulations to her! I’ve always been a Sioux fan. Was hoping DD might go there, but I took her to a camp in January and she said no way! 😂

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Some coaches are sticks in the mud type. They have always had PO and always will. Same guys that don't like facemask, have player run long distances and yell a lot. Seen it in HS where the pitcher was also the best 3rd baseman and top 3 hitter but Mr. Coach excuse/ reasoning was he didn't want her getting hurt. What if Rachel Garcia, Sam Show, Makinzy Herzog, Nicole Mendes(used to pitch), Keilani Ricketts, Amanda Scarborough, and others had this type of coach.

Nov 22, 2020
Interesting you talked with coaches out west that told you this.What level of coaches were these and were they only speaking of their own program would be the specific question.

They were coaches from some of the known programs throughout Southern California. The logic behind it was to protect the pitcher from injury as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
You need more than one pitcher and catcher on the team so it becomes a numbers game. If the pitcher or catcher isn't that much better than the regular position player or DP then they aren't going to play when it isn't their turn in the rotation.

Sure if they are an outlier you can do both but most of the time it's breakeven and the tie goes to the position player.

Not sure why pitchers (and catcher) parents have such a hard time understanding that.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD is only 12, but learning and working on 1B and hitting to stay on the field as long as possible. While I don't see any Pitcher Onlies in 12U, I like that she could make her squad just based on her fielding and hitting.

Something to keep in mind for the future...Your DD should work on her overall fundamental skills as a ball player, and be competent at more than just 1B. There is a girl that was playing with my DD's team until recently who has been playing only 1B for many years. She's a solid defensive player, but her batting was struggling against decent pitching. As such, she was getting very limited playing time compared with other girls who are also good at 1B, but were hitting better. The bigger issue is that colleges don't often recruit 1Bs for their defensive abilities. Generally speaking, 1B is a place for girls who rake, but aren't strong at another position. Or, maybe a secondary position for a big-hitting catcher. At the college level, 1B is sometimes where you hide your hide your weakest fielder...as long as she can bomb. IMO, the dad of my DD's ex-teammate has done his kid a big disservice by keeping her at 1B all the time.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
Yes I agree.

My DD is a much better hitter than she is a pitcher. She has good speed and spin but she walks a lot of people. So, IMO, I think it’s good that pitchers are allowed to do everything so they pigeonholed into one thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most pitchers end up playing other positions in college so I would avoid a PO travel team unless the kid is already committed as a PO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877