When should pitcher field a hit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
My daughter just moved up from C ball where a pitcher should field a ball wherever they can - to a much more competitive team.

She’s curious what people usually consider on when a pitcher should field a ball.

She fielded 3 ground outs Sunday- but thought one was maybe too far out of the circle. Right inside the first base line. She’s fast and has been playing 1st when not pitching if that makes a difference.

Her pitching coach told her to only go for in the air balls she knows she can get - so she doesn’t disrupt the SS line of sight to the ball or deflect it onto a different path.

Are there general guidelines or thoughts? It’s 14b if that’s relevant- but if it changes over time I’d like to know that too.

Aug 15, 2021
This is a great question and has varied depending on the team my DD plays on. I feel like it is one of those "it depends" answers. At higher levels pitchers will most likely be fielding fewer balls that are not directly to her. The part that depends in my opinion is who is playing 3B, C and 1B. How competent and quick are the players around her. Last season my DD's team had an incredibly quick 3B that got everything up front and was great about calling other off. My DD only got balls right to her. This season that has changed as the 3B left. Last weekend we had several mistakes where 3B was too tentative and we missed an out that the pitcher could have probably made. Pitchers should be careful not to be too aggressive as to disrupt the ball path for SS or 2B. I think the best advice is for everyone to communicate loudly on plays. I always told my DD go for it until you are called off.

Jun 18, 2023
As long as she's on the same page as the 1b. It's objectively much easier for a pitcher (especially a right-handed one) to field a ball along the first base line and fire it to first versus the 1B charging in and turning around and a different player having to cover.
DUn8hm.gif

The other direction is tougher unless the play is to third. I'd think the pitcher would still be the faster person to like a 20' bunt or a slowly hit ball, but generally speaking I bet anything hit directly towards the SS that a P can get to might not be an out by the time the SS can come in and fire to first.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
BUNTS

Without question:
Balls hit down the 3B line are 3B. Balls hit only a short distance in front of the plate are C. Balls hit directly back to the P are the Ps.

On balls hit to the 1B side of the bag:

RH pitchers can field balls on the 1B side easier than 1B.

A LH pitcher has to pivot to make the throw. Usually, 1B, can cover bunts down the 1B line better than a LH pitcher.

Of course, there are exceptions based on the quickness and skill level of the pitcher. Generally, the fielding skill level of the middle infielders is much higher than the P on advanced teams.

HITS UP THE MIDDLE

Hits directly back to the P should be fielded by P. Beyond that, the P should attempt a play IF AND ONLY IF she can field it cleanly. Otherwise, the middle infielders, who are unquestionably the best, quickest fielders on the team, should be allowed to show their stuff.

Jan 20, 2023
Thank You! That is really helpful!

I think she is still in the rec mentality of not wanting to be a ball hog since she pitched two innings with 7 batters and walked one, struck out three and fielded the other three out at first getting the grounders herself. But it sounds like that’s okay now.

Just doesn’t want to start off on the wrong foot with the new team.

Apr 14, 2022
My daughter just moved up from C ball where a pitcher should field a ball wherever they can - to a much more competitive team.

She’s curious what people usually consider on when a pitcher should field a ball.

She fielded 3 ground outs Sunday- but thought one was maybe too far out of the circle. Right inside the first base line. She’s fast and has been playing 1st when not pitching if that makes a difference.

Her pitching coach told her to only go for in the air balls she knows she can get - so she doesn’t disrupt the SS line of sight to the ball or deflect it onto a different path.

Are there general guidelines or thoughts? It’s 14b if that’s relevant- but if it changes over time I’d like to know that too.
If the short is really good and right handed pitcher I would suggest not reaching much past the body for a backhand. To many times a pitcher will tip a ball on a tough play for them but easy for short.

If it is a new team have her ask the coach.
Also ask the coach get the out, lead runner, etc.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pitcher defense is a neglected area of play. Rarely practiced. If the pitcher should or should not attempt to field the ball has to be very instinctive. High choppers should usually be left for the SS to handle in most cases. TBS, an athletic pitcher is a huge benefit for a team. I have seen teams that use their pitcher to handle cuts. They usually bat in the 4 hole, too!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD pitched. Her 1st and most important job was to protect herself, pitching was her 2nd job.

Once those were taken care of it depends. She would steal a ball from the SS anytime she could or a ball to the right side of field. Anything to left side of field she pretty much left alone.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
HITS UP THE MIDDLE

Hits directly back to the P should be fielded by P. Beyond that, the P should attempt a play IF AND ONLY IF she can field it cleanly. Otherwise, the middle infielders, who are unquestionably the best, quickest fielders on the team, should be allowed to show their stuff.

Agree with this. Just adding that how hard the ball is hit matters. Even a great SS is probably not going to have time to field a slow roller that slips past the pitcher unless she's playing up for it. If the pitcher has time to move laterally to play the ball, do so (unless third is cutting across, but she needs to call the ball like it's pop up in that case). If you're just flailing and stabbing at a hard hit ball a couple steps to your right, that's probably a routine grounder to the shortstop.

Jun 18, 2023
Another point in favor is that if the SS can trust the P to make certain plays, they can setup further away and cover more ground in the opposite direction. Make the hole between SS/3B shorter, etc. The more field you can cover, the better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles