Pitcher Only

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2020
Ive talked to some coaches out west and it sounds like they are is doing away with two way players. Idk if it’s a good thing or a bad thing.
But why change the game? I understand it to a degree that if a pitcher is just ok hitting but she’s dominate in the circle then keep her as a PO. But, if a pitcher can hit and she does well at it, let her hit! It’s a part of the game that makes it fun to watch. Let’s not turn it into baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Would have been interesting if DD was given a choice between pitching only or being able to play the field. Not sure what she would have chosen. She absolutely loved P, Her spot.

She has been on Teams were she was just trying to survive pitching, pitched way too much. She did not want to be in field.

More balance Teams were she just had a turn For a few innings or games?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was watching the Perfect Game Festival and the commentators were saying that the Pitchers aren't committing to becoming a PO at that age. It's way too early. In the younger ages with pitch counts, baseball teams need at least 6 pitchers to get through a weekend. As for softball, if a pitcher can hit in the top 5 in the lineup then let them hit. Use the DP/Flex to your advantage.

Nov 22, 2020
Would have been interesting if DD was given a choice between pitching only or being able to play the field. Not sure what she would have chosen. She absolutely loved P, Her spot.

She has been on Teams were she was just trying to survive pitching, pitched way too much. She did not want to be in field.

More balance Teams were she just had a turn For a few innings or games?

Exactly. Why try and narrow it down to just one position? If she can perform well then let her play. I know injuries are a factor in wanting to protect the pitcher but IMO it’s more important to allow the player to make that decision to be a PO.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
It was a big factor in choosing a school for my dd. Being given the chance to pitch and hit and also be able to play first and hit on other days. Just loves to play!

Oct 4, 2018
My DD is only 12, but learning and working on 1B and hitting to stay on the field as long as possible. While I don't see any Pitcher Onlies in 12U, I like that she could make her squad just based on her fielding and hitting.

Nov 22, 2020
It was a big factor in choosing a school for my dd. Being given the chance to pitch and hit and also be able to play first and hit on other days. Just loves to play!

Can I ask where it is you’re from? Up here in the northeast PO hasn’t become a thing yet. It’s something that I’m hearing is being done out west.

Nov 22, 2020
My DD is only 12, but learning and working on 1B and hitting to stay on the field as long as possible. While I don't see any Pitcher Onlies in 12U, I like that she could make her squad just based on her fielding and hitting.

Yes I agree.

My DD is a much better hitter than she is a pitcher. She has good speed and spin but she walks a lot of people. So, IMO, I think it’s good that pitchers are allowed to do everything so they pigeonholed into one thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi