PGF Tournament Plans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2015
I posted on a softball Facebook board last week that I booked my PGF flights (we already have a premier bid). You would have thought I personally offended people.
Can I ask why people get SO mad when we look past this virus?
It's like we are offending people that we are planning for a future after the peak.

I’ll try not to get political ... I think it is important to realize the impacts of the virus are being felt almost universally, but the experience with it is not universal. Large portions of our population are still too far removed from the “hotspots” or any personal contact.

Unfortunately, the disgusting national reaction has forced people even further to the edges and away from rationale civility. “Looking beyond” can (incorrectly) be seen as being as obtuse as those who should have been working to prevent this.

Even more extreme, people in areas being hard hit could conceivably find it insensitive to be talking about spending thousands of dollars on traveling and softball — people who don’t know if they will still have a job, people who don’t know if they will have food in the pantry next week.

I‘m not chastising you, just trying to provide perspective. I agree that we need to find the steps we can to move forward, but we also need to have an understanding of what others are going through — something that is in short supply these days.

Mar 10, 2020
I’ll try not to get political ... I think it is important to realize the impacts of the virus are being felt almost universally, but the experience with it is not universal. Large portions of our population are still too far removed from the “hotspots” or any personal contact.

Unfortunately, the disgusting national reaction has forced people even further to the edges and away from rationale civility. “Looking beyond” can (incorrectly) be seen as being as obtuse as those who should have been working to prevent this.

Even more extreme, people in areas being hard hit could conceivably find it insensitive to be talking about spending thousands of dollars on traveling and softball — people who don’t know if they will still have a job, people who don’t know if they will have food in the pantry next week.

I‘m not chastising you, just trying to provide perspective. I agree that we need to find the steps we can to move forward, but we also need to have an understanding of what others are going through — something that is in short supply these days.
There have been harder topics addressed here in.

Apr 28, 2014

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your point of view. I find it odd that we were told the reason for the lock down was to prevent hospitals from being over-run. But that never happened (Thank god) now were being told to stay in lock down as it's the right thing to do. Not sure I'm buying how extreme this has become.

May 27, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I understand your point of view. I find it odd that we were told the reason for the lock down was to prevent hospitals from being over-run. But that never happened (Thank god) now were being told to stay in lock down as it's the right thing to do. Not sure I'm buying how extreme this has become.
I have been working in a hospital since the end of March. We have had to put our “surge” plan in action where ICU beds were expanded to other parts of the hospital due to how many critical patients we’ve admitted. We have transformed other areas of the hospital into COVID-only floors. Several deaths every day. “Elective” surgeries canceled, other surgeries triaged to see which can happen first.

The percentage of COVID + patients we’ve had is pretty high. I am hoping that we have finally hit our peak. Obviously, ERs don’t seem as busy because it is only the critical patients with true emergencies who are showing up, so when ERs aren’t overcrowded you won’t hear about how bad it is. With elective surgeries canceled nurses have been re-deployed to other patient areas or furloughed. In over 20+ years of being in the field I’ve never seen hospitals have to go to the extent that several in our area had to in order to be able to handle the amount of critical patients that need ICU beds.

I will admit I just don’t know what the right decision is. Stay in, resume back to normal - it’s a tough call. One that I’m glad I don’t have to make for the rest of a state/country. I truly can see both sides - however, everyone’s experiences are very different. Luckily I’ve only had to take a pay cut and not be furloughed (difficult to imagine as a health care provider in the middle of a health care crisis). My husband has the ability to work from home for full salary. We are the lucky ones. Not everyone has been lucky and I truly feel for them. Again, I’m not on any side here, just giving my perspective from what I’ve been through in the past month (seems like years).

May 16, 2016
:oops:

We locked down to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed... and they weren't... that tends to make me think, the lock down is working.

New York City did not lock down soon enough, and became one of the worst hot spots on the planet. Albany GA, in rural southwest Georgia, is another one of the worst hot spots in the US, with one county reporting 2,600 cases per 100,000 citizens, which is similar rate to what NYC is seeing. The outbreak in Albany was traced back to one individual, who attended two funerals in a week, and infected 20 other people, and it exploded from there. Singapore, which was considered the case study for stemming the initial outbreak, is now in a second shut down, after opening back up, and experiencing a new spike of infections.

If we open back up too soon, and too fast, we are going to be right back here, shut down again for another 8 weeks....

Apr 28, 2014
:oops:

We locked down to prevent the hospitals from being overwhelmed... and they weren't... that tends to make me think, the lock down is working.

New York City did not lock down soon enough, and became one of the worst hot spots on the planet. Albany GA, in rural southwest Georgia, is another one of the worst hot spots in the US, with one county reporting 2,600 cases per 100,000 citizens, which is similar rate to what NYC is seeing. The outbreak in Albany was traced back to one individual, who attended two funerals in a week, and infected 20 other people, and it exploded from there. Singapore, which was considered the case study for stemming the initial outbreak, is now in a second shut down, after opening back up, and experiencing a new spike of infections.

If we open back up too soon, and too fast, we are going to be right back here, shut down again for another 8 weeks....
What about Florida????
They were the last to lock down and were projected to be the worst case scenario.
What happened there?

May 16, 2016
What about Florida????
They were the last to lock down and were projected to be the worst case scenario.
What happened there?

I don't know. The population density in Florida is lower than New York, so the spread would be slower. That bought Florida some time. Perhaps people were already self isolating before the mandatory lock down. Maybe Florida just got lucky...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00