Perfect swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The weight is behind the back foot toward the dugout.
Only time his weight is towards the dugout is when he's sitting in the dugout.
Cutch1.gif

McCutchen_rearview.gif

McCutchen_take.gif

I said he starts with the weight behind the back foot?
Weight never gets 'behind' his rear foot. Gets into his rear side.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
That middle gif is cool. He gets all the way back in his gather. Weight on the outside of his rear foot. They dont teach that.

Nov 29, 2011
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
anyone else like to comment on McCutchens swing?

Anyone confused when I said he starts with the weight behind the back foot? Because I don't mean toward the catcher. The weight is behind the back foot toward the dugout.

Where to people get this stuff from, lol. RD answered his own guess, by saying center/centered, or better said, balance/balanced. Shawn can only be talking about getting your rear into it, but this mass he is talking about is not leaning towards the dugout, it is balanced by having your head in front of your feet. SMH

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
anyone else like to comment on McCutchens swing?

Anyone confused when I said he starts with the weight behind the back foot? Because I don't mean toward the catcher. The weight is behind the back foot toward the dugout.

Where to people get this stuff from, lol. RD answered his own guess, by saying center/centered, or better said, balance/balanced. Shawn can only be talking about getting your rear into it, but this mass he is talking about is not leaning towards the dugout, it is balanced by having your head in front of your feet. SMH

Sure he is balanced/centered. If he wasnt he would fall over. Stever look at the white uniform gif. A split second before the bat moves forward his mass is on his rear heel.

Nov 29, 2011
I don't see it in the white uniform gif. If you do have a picture or video of his weight back like that, it is a mistake or balance issue on his part. What is really happening and what is taught, is for the weight on the rear leg to be on the complete instep of the rear foot, not just the big toe/ball of foot area. I teach my kids to keep the weight on the instep of the entire rear foot as long as possible until rotation moves it.

Does Andrew raise his toes on every swing (sitting on his heels)?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I was asked to add this...

<video width="512" height="100%" controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/DFP/NZ%20(1).mp4" />
</video>

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
FWIW, what I see in the white and gray GIFs is he's pretty strongly pre-coiled. He slightly bounces a few times in his stance to "check" or "feel" the pre-coil. That's what makes his swing seem so simple, IMO, when he lifts his front foot slightly his coil bottoms out, his body loads his hands to finish off the stretch and.....go!

It's a good example of the power of stretch and fire to create simple timing+power versus using big moves and momentum (which isn't wrong, of course, if it's used the right way -- for instance Donaldson or even Babe Ruth).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad