Perfect swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
Spartan I cleared out my inbox.

Howe,

I've always thought a hand path was necessary to deliver the barrel to the ball. I equate the hands to a steering wheel. One of the pluses of Brookes injury is that it gave her plenty of time to focus on them by themselves. I firmly believe that once we get her lower half back consistently that she will better than ever so I'm excited about that.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I have no doubt that she'll be back and better. She's in very good hands.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Can you tell us exactly how you worked on the hands during that time? Thanks.
Spartan I cleared out my inbox.

Howe,

I've always thought a hand path was necessary to deliver the barrel to the ball. I equate the hands to a steering wheel. One of the pluses of Brookes injury is that it gave her plenty of time to focus on them by themselves. I firmly believe that once we get her lower half back consistently that she will better than ever so I'm excited about that.

Sep 17, 2009
I've been boiling it down to our hitters lately like this (in our offseason hitting work):

Good bat path + hitting ball in "right" location = what hitter wants --> result=line drive to power drive
Poor bat path + hitting ball in "wrong" location = what the pitcher wants --> result=ground out to short, squib to pitcher, weak pop up, etc

We spend time diagnosing mis-hits off of tees, front-toss, machine and live pitching in a variety of pitch locations so they can understand those dynamics -- and fix problem areas.

Pitchers at higher levels take easy advantage of poor hitters (bad path/poor idea of where and how to make contact) and work to make even good hitters have a bad path/location/result via change of speed, spins, etc.
Hitters at high levels have to work hard to win battle with pitcher to deliver the barrel to the best spot as often as possible.

Neither side wins every battle but whoever wins the most wins the war.

Feb 14, 2010
Turnin,

We did a bunch of one hand drills and really focused on the proper hand pivot angle/wrist usage and release. Also focused on keeping the upper half relaxed so the hands could do what they needed to do.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
crankermo, BB is having the same problems with the backside you mentioned. She is starting to hit again and is really motivated to get her swing back to where it was. I can't explain more just yet. Anyway, we have video of her swing and I'd suggest that Brooke's and BB's swing are really similar at this point.

Feb 14, 2010
It's crazy how they lose feel after a while of inactivity isn't it. We had a better session today. Making small improvements so that's all I can ask

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks for your reply.
Turnin,

We did a bunch of one hand drills and really focused on the proper hand pivot angle/wrist usage and release. Also focused on keeping the upper half relaxed so the hands could do what they needed to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles