Pauley vs Tincher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
To the original post, this is a tricky question because most of us, don't have Denny as our PC. We have someone Denny taught to be a pitching coach. So each 'Tincher' is going to see and teach things slightly differently.

As an example, about a year ago our PC incorporated a double back swing (it was from Denny - much like you would doing a standing broad jump). The other 'local' tincher never incorporated it. Or at least she did not for existing students. This past winter, my DD's coach stopped my dd's double back swing and went "Of of the Glove".

I have not purchased any of the Pauly videos but I've watched all the free ones. I've spoken to Denny a couple of times but not indepth. I believe that they are both driving to darn near the same exact GPS coordinates. But the key words, drills, and progressions they use are probably different.

BI has been discussed here. RP has a few videos on it. My dd's PC does not use the term brush at all. But she has talked about shoulders back, pull the elbow down, and engaging the lats. You can't do those things and not get brush.

Oct 4, 2018
That's interesting, I talked to Denny personally when my DD was having some health issues. He was awesome helping me get her to the correct place and I'm very indebted to him. We actually talked about her out of the glove style and he constantly said, he believes you throw harder swinging back (he didn't say you can't pitch OOG). The instructor he was going to send us didn't want to talk about out of the glove. This helped push me towards Pauly. In my experience both are awesome people.

I do agree that swing back is their preferred method. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Tincher people we've worked with (not Denny) haven't stressed that part of the pitching motion much and our talks showed they are comfortable with several methods.

Mar 28, 2014
Not even close......but your lack attention to detail is amazing to me. I have only quoted you and your exact words yet you make assumptions you can't back up. It is all above in this thread so feel free to prove me wrong. You stated it unfortunately and I am only calling out the truth.

1. You read what you want to hear and not what is stated
2. You clearly can't answer simple questions. Still haven't answered 2 simple YES or No questions
3. Re-read points 1 and 2 and read them again as it is clear it takes ahwile for you to process.

I will quote you if it helps.....

*parroted on here ad nauseum and it is simply isn't true. Does it help? Who knows."

Who knows? You clearly don't and won't respect the people that says it does that have posted here for years.

Many, many, many posts on it and many says it does help. Never said it was impossible without but many have stated it DOES.

But you say and I will quote again... " who knows". Many people know it does and that kind of statement basically says they don't know what they are talking about but yet you do. I'll take the masses on this one and again.........as I have said......happy to play a game with you to prove my point.

My pick was Abbott, my next pick is Ueno, and I will go ahead and share my 3rd pick....... Osterman.

Afraid to lose? Obvioulsy as you can't simply answer my simple questions.........

S3
hahaha... oh my

Aug 21, 2008
Always love a @Hillhouse post! Bill, I don't think anyone said that he said nobody has brush. Went back and looked and simply not there so not sure what you mean by that.

With all due respect Strike, I think you missed the point. I agree, I don't think anyone said "nobody has brush". I was only saying that someone earlier had said "you can't have control without brush" or maybe it was "nobody will have movement without brush" (I'm too lazy to back and look at the actual quote). And texasheat said there are pitchers that have both of those without "BI" there for it is possible. At that point, it seems everyone seemed to think texasheat was advocating against "BI". I don't think he was. He simply pointed to examples of people who didn't have it to challenge the notion that it was impossible. Now, I don't know texasheat at all. I don't know if they believe in "BI" as part of the pitching motion or not but, again, I don't think that was the point he was making. I have no idea what texas' stance on "BI" is and I doubt he will disagree that the examples of pitchers you mentioned all do this technique. He merely challenged the idea that it can't be done without it. I'm going to make a wild guess that the examples he listed of pitchers without "BI" are exceptions to the rule, and probably doesn't advocate copying those pitcher's motions without it. Anyway, just my .02.

Jan 6, 2018
Denny may be a wonderful coach and his disciples are probably wonderful, but he’s a bit of a hypocrite. He’s a bucket dad who has a wonderful pitcher as a daughter...turned it into a thing, but believes bucket dads don’t make good coaches and only wants experienced pitchers to become his disciples.

Rick is an All American pitcher, turned bucket dad of wonderful pitcher, turned coach (not necessarily chronological) and now helps ANYONE maximize their potential as a coach or bucket dad.

They teach basically the same principles as stated already, but Pauly coaches are more accessible IMO, though I’m probably biased as what my daughter refers to as “certified dad.”

Nov 22, 2019
I have been fortunate to have spent a lot of time with Rick and only one lesson with Denny and a couple phone calls.
I'm sure the differences are subtle but significant.
Tincher.... No brush, looooong stride, no reference to arm stabilization, no details of control.

Pauly... Brush trigger, midline compression, quick and powerful stride, lots of spine angle control.

The load and backswing is a preference and is not a mandatory subject with Rick...

The Tincher comments are untrue. They teach slot, which seems to basically be brush with arm stabilization.

Nov 22, 2019
They likely don’t use terms like Brush Interference, or Internal Rotation because google will bring them here where they don’t have to pay out the wazoo for Slot and Fluid Dynamics. LOL Up next Forearm Fire through the Throw Zone!

The Tincher pitching coaches charge the same rate as some of the HE coach down the street around here. And the hitting coaches around here are even more expensive.

Mar 28, 2014
With all due respect Strike, I think you missed the point. I agree, I don't think anyone said "nobody has brush". I was only saying that someone earlier had said "you can't have control without brush" or maybe it was "nobody will have movement without brush" (I'm too lazy to back and look at the actual quote). And texasheat said there are pitchers that have both of those without "BI" there for it is possible. At that point, it seems everyone seemed to think texasheat was advocating against "BI". I don't think he was. He simply pointed to examples of people who didn't have it to challenge the notion that it was impossible. Now, I don't know texasheat at all. I don't know if they believe in "BI" as part of the pitching motion or not but, again, I don't think that was the point he was making. I have no idea what texas' stance on "BI" is and I doubt he will disagree that the examples of pitchers you mentioned all do this technique. He merely challenged the idea that it can't be done without it. I'm going to make a wild guess that the examples he listed of pitchers without "BI" are exceptions to the rule, and probably doesn't advocate copying those pitcher's motions without it. Anyway, just my .02.
You nailed it! He completely missed the point. Good to know that some folks can read something and actually comprehend what is actually being said versus letting emotions take over. Emotions can cause people to be blind to reality and only see what they want to see. That and liquor! I think a few boys might have been over served last night. Posting pitching videos on a softball website at 1:30AM???? What the hell? Lol............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd