Pauley vs Tincher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Coach Pauly teaches out of glove and swing back. I think, Tincher only teaches swing back.

Gags- saw a video about slotting the arm or something like that that was vert close to brush.

Tincher (from the ones we've been to) doesn't care all that much about the swing back. They certainly have the one they'll tell a newbie to go with first, but if you come to them with one method they won't be changing it (unless it's something way goofy).

Mar 28, 2014
Again with regards to the brush: real control is impossible without brush, if Tincher pitchers were walk artists nobody would pay for their lessons. DD averages less than two per seven innings.
This myth again?

Barnhill had no brush. Waldrop had no brush. The 2 pitchers in the pics below have zero brush. One, Alisson Royalty is killing it as a freshman at Az St with only 39 walks in 110 innings and the other Sophia Simpson, is signed with Texas.

There are tons of other examples but I think everyone gets the point. Good even great accuracy is very possible without brush interference. Otherwise how can a MLB pitcher hit a pie plate from 60 feet away? No brush interference there. It's called timing.

bh-jpg.16735

ss-jpg.16734

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Tincher (from the ones we've been to) doesn't care all that much about the swing back. They certainly have the one they'll tell a newbie to go with first, but if you come to them with one method they won't be changing it (unless it's something way goofy).

That's interesting, I talked to Denny personally when my DD was having some health issues. He was awesome helping me get her to the correct place and I'm very indebted to him. We actually talked about her out of the glove style and he constantly said, he believes you throw harder swinging back (he didn't say you can't pitch OOG). The instructor he was going to send us didn't want to talk about out of the glove. This helped push me towards Pauly. In my experience both are awesome people.

Apr 20, 2017
I have read a lot of great things about Pauly. My DD has been with Tincher for a couple of years. It seems most of the top pitching coaches have close to the same absolutes. The terminology may be different but there are certain movements that the greats have. Tincher seems to do a lot of research and studies trying to maximize power and movements in an effort to help smaller girls compete against more powerful girls. They also have been changing with the changes in pitching rules like start or step back. One of the things I also like is access to many instructors that have the same basic concepts.

Apr 12, 2015
Good even great accuracy is very possible without brush interference. Otherwise how can a MLB pitcher hit a pie plate from 60 feet away? No brush interference there. It's called timing.

This is very true. BI is, at its core, a basic timing mechanism. It might be better to say a young lady with good BI will have an easier time developing control than one without. But it is far from impossible.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
This myth again?

Barnhill had no brush. Waldrop had no brush. The 2 pitchers in the pics below have zero brush. One, Alisson Royalty is killing it as a freshman at Az St with only 39 walks in 110 innings and the other Sophia Simpson, is signed with Texas.

There are tons of other examples but I think everyone gets the point. Good even great accuracy is very possible without brush interference. Otherwise how can a MLB pitcher hit a pie plate from 60 feet away? No brush interference there. It's called timing.

bh-jpg.16735

ss-jpg.16734
Sorry Tx but I see brush with both of these still shots. It’s not lower arm brush that is touted a lot here but upper arm. It’s a release trigger. Granted, I too, have seen some top pitchers not use much but both of these have what I would clasify as BI...

Apr 12, 2015
Sorry Tx but I see brush with both of these still shots. It’s not lower arm brush that is touted a lot here but upper arm.

It is a nitpick, but I would say the upper arm is stabilization, while the lower forearm "wrapping around" the hip/thigh is brush interference.

Both girls do have great arm stabilization and both lack brush interference, or brush assisted whip. Just my observation.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
This myth again?

bh-jpg.16735

ss-jpg.16734
Do you think most pitchers who don't have brush are more accurate than those that do?

It is a simple YES or NO question.

Second, question, is comparing baseball pitchers to softball pitchers really going to help any moms, dads, coaches or whoever that comes to this site to learn?

Again, it is a simple YES or NO question.

I will save you the response. The answer is NO to both!

S3

Mar 28, 2014
Sorry Tx but I see brush with both of these still shots. It’s not lower arm brush that is touted a lot here but upper arm. It’s a release trigger.
by your rationale it is literally impossible to throw without some BI since it's physiologically impossible for some portion of the arm to not brush. Sorry but that smells of someone trying to make something fit the narrative.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06