Palm up vs. Shake Hands?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I heard it years ago at the National Sports Clinics. It was also called "palm forward" at contact. I think it was popular when the general belief was fastpitch softball hitters couldn't hit fastpitch softball pitchers, so you were just trying to put the ball in play.

I'm amazed anyone still teaches it. But I'm often amazed at what people teach. In any case ms244, you might want to suggest your hitting coach get some hitting instructional materials that are not on VHS tape. Or find another hitting coach.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I might be a little slow to day, from being out in the snow today. I can't even picture, what shake the hand even looks like?

Shaking hands would be slapping the ball in the face. Palm up would be punching the ball in the face.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
2) How many high schools and colleges teach "palm up" or "shake hands"?

I can't imagine that any top college program is being taught a 'shake hands' approach. 'Palm up' is a given. People on this forum love to debate hitting mechanics, but unless I'm missing something, I'd be very surprised if anyone here tried to argue that a 'shake hands' style was best.

Nov 14, 2011
Im with nano on this one... palm up/down makes way too much since to me. Murphy is a great coach, but Id have to hear his philosophy on the shake before I consider changing anything.

Murphy was advocating "palm up", not "shake hands" philosophy.

Jun 20, 2008
If your hitting coach teaches that handshake stuff stop using him or her and if you have paid for lessons already demand the balance of your money back, then appoligize to your DD for taking her there and all the work she is going to need to do to forget what this person taught and learn how to hit!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I'm mentally grinning as I read this thread. My DD has been seeing the same PC for 5 years and for the first 4 of them he taught her hitting as well. He taught Hello Elbow for pitching and palm forward for hitting. She actually has IR mechanics while in the circle and her hand is palm up at contact.

I know that all athletes are built differently and learn differently but her instruction has helped her be who she is.

Feb 8, 2009
If your hitting coach teaches that handshake stuff stop using him or her and if you have paid for lessons already demand the balance of your money back, then appoligize to your DD for taking her there and all the work she is going to need to do to forget what this person taught and learn how to hit!

In his mind, Im sure he thinks he is right. I would just thank him for his time and say you are going in a different direction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06