Palm up vs. Shake Hands?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My DD and I attended a softball camp on Friday and Pat Murphy from the University of Alabama was discussing hitting techniques. His philosophy was the palm of your right hand (right handed batter) during the zone of impact should be facing up. This is totally different than what our batting coach teaches. He teaches "shake hands" style of batting. On the video that I posted earlier this week the quality of the video plus the batting net might not show what she is doing with her hands. I spoke to several parents at the camp and they agree with Murphy's philosophy and recommend that we look into it.

I have a few questions for everyone here:

1) I have been told that palm up is the correct style, producing the best power and "shake hands" is the the best for contact?
2) How many high schools and colleges teach "palm up" or "shake hands"?

One thing that sticks in my mind as I post this is something that Pat Murphy told us. He said that batting swings are like girls and hair cuts. There are tons of different styles and colors and that they need to find what works for them.

I'm sure he was being polite and wasn't trying to offend anyone but it was obvious he teaches "palm up". Our coach teaches the opposite but it sounds like he is one of the few where we live that teaches that style.

Your thoughts?

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
My DD and I attended a softball camp on Friday and Pat Murphy from the University of Alabama was discussing hitting techniques. His philosophy was the palm of your right hand (right handed batter) during the zone of impact should be facing up. This is totally different than what our batting coach teaches. He teaches "shake hands" style of batting. On the video that I posted earlier this week the quality of the video plus the batting net might not show what she is doing with her hands. I spoke to several parents at the camp and they agree with Murphy's philosophy and recommend that we look into it.

1) I have been told that palm up is the correct style, producing the best power and "shake hands" is the the best for contact?

One thing that sticks in my mind as I post this is something that Pat Murphy told us. He said that batting swings are like girls and hair cuts. There are tons of different styles and colors and that they need to find what works for them.

I'm sure he was being polite and wasn't trying to offend anyone but it was obvious he teaches "palm up". Our coach teaches the opposite but it sounds like he is one of the few where we live that teaches that style.

Your thoughts?

I admit that I do not work with many girls. I teach palm up. I look at it this way. Palm up is punching someone in the face. Shake hands is slapping someone in the face. I want my guys to punch the guy in the face not slap them.

May 16, 2010

Your thoughts?

The shake hands method will pretty much GUARANTEE that you will never hit with much power. You can hit like that, but you pretty much kill any power, especially to the opposite field.

There is a HS coach in Phoenix who teaches that and we played against his club team and none of them could do much but hit weak grounders and only a few even got fly balls beyond the SS into the outfield grass. These were 16u girls.

I doubt that there is an MLB hitter who has ever played that hit with the shake hands style. That is considered a major flaw. If the big boys don't do it, then why would you want to?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I work 90% with girls. They end up palm up at impact. I would also add I dont teach palm anything.
It is a end result of other drills I do.

I focus on a good grip. It just ends up palm up at impact.

SL

Jan 25, 2011
I might be a little slow to day, from being out in the snow today. I can't even picture, what shake the hand even looks like?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Im with nano on this one... palm up/down makes way too much since to me. Murphy is a great coach, but Id have to hear his philosophy on the shake before I consider changing anything.

Jan 24, 2011
Im with nano on this one... palm up/down makes way too much since to me. Murphy is a great coach, but Id have to hear his philosophy on the shake before I consider changing anything.
Unless I read the OP incorrectly , I think Murphy was advocating palm up. It was the hitting coach that taught to shake hands ?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Murphy's philosophy -
His philosophy was the palm of your right hand (right handed batter) during the zone of impact should be facing up.

Shake hands comes form tennis. I have never heard it used in hitting.

May 16, 2010
I might be a little slow to day, from being out in the snow today. I can't even picture, what shake the hand even looks like?

You roll into contact so that your palm is vertical (facing the ball) instead of up with knuckles facing the ball. It is very weak. The pitch easily makes the bat recoil, plus you have to either roll over, or hold the hand and push. If you push, you lose all whip of the barrel.

IOW, it's a ridiculous technique that no pro baseball player has ever used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom