Other activities?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
I know this is not the appropriate forum but what does straight As mean, DD does not have them. An supposedly A 4.0 and she has a 4.8, there are a few kids ahead of her with 4.9 and 5.0. If an A+ is a 4.0 how does a kid get a 5?

I have lost track of our school system.

I think DD has figured out the infield fly rule so there!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I know this is not the appropriate forum but what does straight As mean, DD does not have them. An supposedly a 4.0 and she has a 4.8, there are a few kids ahead of her with a 5.0. If an A+ is a 4.0 how does a kid get a 5?

I have no idea...I do know that half of my kids school is on the "honor" roll. I have given up on grades all together. DD brings home great report cards with either all as or maybe a B, I take it with a grain of salt. Grades are overinflated in general.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I know this is not the appropriate forum but what does straight As mean, DD does not have them. An supposedly A 4.0 and she has a 4.8, there are a few kids ahead of her with 4.9 and 5.0. If an A+ is a 4.0 how does a kid get a 5?

Usually classes that are "honors" or "advanced placement" give you a +1 bonus on the 4.0 scale such that an A is 5.0, B is 4.0...

If one kid has "more" AP class and both kids get straight As, the kid with the "tougher" schedule will be ahead. That is an A in advanced placement calculus is worth more than an A in basket weaving. Or something like that. ;)

Jul 26, 2010

Weighted classes like AP and Honors. Most colleges ignore the weight but that doesn't keep kids from listing their weighted GPA.

-W

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
DD has her travel ball year round with short breaks thrown in, rec basketball and soccer then throw in her bike riding and swimming. I'm a little surprised after going through all the posts that there aren't more girls playing lacrosse and soccer. A ton of girls playing soccer around here.

Jul 28, 2008
Oldest DD hung up her cleats a few years ago. She took up track and cross country instead. She also likes to go hunting with me and bagged a 3-pt white-tail her first time out, but has traded the trips to go to homecoming. What kind of backward school schedules their homecoming during the opening weekend of hunting season two years in a row!? I also owe her a weekend getaway on the motorcycle.

Middle DD never took to group sports, but found a fun niche in swimming. She drives a new Beetle....'nuff said. :)

Youngest DD loves her softball, volleyball and hunting. She's taken a doe and a 3-point the last two years. She also loves fishing and with a huge pink salmon run in right now, I need to get her out on the river.

All three are well rounded kids doing great in school, despite their parent's best efforts to screw it up. I wouldn't trade a one of them for a plug nickel.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Weighted classes like AP and Honors. Most colleges ignore the weight but that doesn't keep kids from listing their weighted GPA.

-W

Yep...DD's school is 6.0 for AP/GT (which she is); 5.0 for Advanced; 4.0 for Regulars. So if she gets a B in an Pre-AP/GT Biology, it's equivalent to an A for Advanced or Regulars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug