What is an off-season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
This is an honest question. The importance of off season training or taking time off is often discussed, but I have never seen a good definition that takes into account year around sports. I would guess that in places where climate is an issue, it would be when the weather is a prohibive factor, but I've heard that they use domes now.

Is it implied that kids should take time off arbitrarily when they feel they would miss the least? Also, what does it mean to take time off? No games? No formal practice? Zero sport specific activities? What about other sports or training? Are you really taking a break when you jump from something like soccer to basketball? Or stepping away from softball to lift weights?

Apr 20, 2015
I have a high school junior. She is an all conference soccer player, a varsity basketball player and should be an all conference softball player at the end of this season. She plays softball year round and this is her college goal. She takes 2 weeks off in August after PGF nationals. During this time she is conditioning and practicing soccer. She doesn’t touch a softball at this time. After that she hits once a week at lessons and on her own 2-3 other times as well as team practice, or tournament or prospect camps. Soccer ends in mid/late October and basketball starts immediately with the same on her own softball schedule. Our last tournament of the season is pre thanksgiving in California. After that she will take 2-4 weeks off depending on camps/how beat up she is etc. team practice and camps restart in January and continue until the start of high school ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 10, 2018
My DD plays travel softball and school ball in NY. We usually have the month of August off. Then off again for a couple weeks (winter break) in February.

May 21, 2015
South
I believe girls need breaks during the year with no softball activity. Arms need to rest and my dd always came back from a break stronger. Many parents believe that any break will slow the development of their daughter. I believe breaks create significant jumps in a players development,

Apr 8, 2019
I believe girls need breaks during the year with no softball activity. Arms need to rest and my dd always came back from a break stronger. Many parents believe that any break will slow the development of their daughter. I believe breaks create significant jumps in a players development,
Thanks. This is why I was asking. I see people talking about giving kids breaks and not over working them so often it seems like a cliche. But I looked at the calendar and realized nobody I'm familiar with really does take breaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi