No stride and swinging from the launch, one legged?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The axis starts at the back hip and moves to the front hip as the swing progresses.

So the front side is used to catch the transfer from rear side to front side (back leg to front leg) vs becoming leveraged with both legs ?

Aug 20, 2017
Front side is a stabilizer. This is why I think the interaction with the front foot and the ground is important
So the front side is used to catch the transfer from rear side to front side (back leg to front leg) vs becoming leveraged with both legs ?

May 12, 2016
I am not sure how I feel about that. Seems like an inefficient way of using the core. I feel I am much powerful and engage the large core muscles much better when leveraging both legs. Also I find it very difficult to maintain posture when not leveraging both legs, not to mention getting to a balanced position. I also have first hand experience with this. My DD pushed hard off her backside (which was entirely my fault) and drove hard into her front side. This resulted in her losing her posture (coming out of her swing) and really hindered her ability to adapt to pitch speed changes and major loss of power.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am not sure how I feel about that. Seems like an inefficient way of using the core. I feel I am much powerful and engage the large core muscles much better when leveraging both legs. Also I find it very difficult to maintain posture when leveraging both legs, not to mention being in much better balanced position. I also have first hand experience with this. My DD pushed hard off her backside (which was entirely my fault) and drove hard into her front side. This resulted in her losing her posture (coming out of her swing) and really hindered her ability to adapt to pitch speed changes and major loss of power.

It sounds like you are referring to what some call a "Push/Block/Push" or PBP. There have been some good discussions of that in the past.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Balancing two opposing forces leverages the front side. The contracting middle against a swiveled pelvis towards the pitcher.

balance is equal-opposite right? Reciprocal maybe?

🤔

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The pattern some of us are referring to leverages both legs against the stretching core..
Not a great example but I think it shows the front side being leveraged before whipping the barrel.

7WXRPTr.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

I don’t like the the word catch as in it does nothing. I had to focus on the front leg/quad being relaxed and then quickly contracting the quad. Before I started focusing on the back hip being an axis point. Now the front leg, lower body, and hips contract quickly because I’m creating leverage through the back heel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619