No stride and swinging from the launch, one legged?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Then I guess we have reached an impasse. Here is what we know.
1) Swings such as Brantley's in Post 63 are a fair representation of your beliefs.
2) Swings such as Brantley's in Post 63 are a fair representation of my beliefs.
3) There is no common ground between the two.

I guess I see 2 different movement patten models that both work. I don't think you would see any disagreements if the 2 pivot pattern matched video of the greats..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I guess I see 2 different movement patten models that both work. I don't think you would see any disagreements if the 2 pivot pattern matched video of the greats..

Yet the clips you post demonstrate both pivot points. Go figure...

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yet the clips you post demonstrate both pivot points. Go figure...

Sorry should have clarified 2 synced pivots..

ZXakZkS.gif

Jul 29, 2013
I think this is what makes it so difficult to find the differences. The clip you posted is an excellent example of a rear-legged swing with a rearward turning barrel. The hitter is creating a corner and is demonstrating a pulling rear hip. I could keep going...... I'm not trying to be disrespectful. And yes, I do realize there are some differences between our systems. But I still think there are more similarities than differences. After all, since you posted this clip, I assume you like it. I know I do. Probably the best way to determine the differences would be to find a clip that one of us likes and one of us doesn't like. Then we can analyze why our opinions are different. Unfortunately no such examples come to mind.
I'm having a hard time reconciling the one/rear leg swing. There's a gift of a kid swinging on only his rear leg that copies TM'S rear leg swing. In that swing, the rear foot stays entirely on the ground, toe to heel. In the Brantley swing, the rear foot unweights simultaneous with the rearward barrel acceleration and continues until Brantley turns onto the tip of his toe at contact. The rear leg is dragged forward as the barrel turns to the ball. To me that means all of his weight is moving to his front foot starting at swing launch.
How is this one legged/rear legged?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm having a hard time reconciling the one/rear leg swing. There's a gift of a kid swinging on only his rear leg that copies TM'S rear leg swing. In that swing, the rear foot stays entirely on the ground, toe to heel. In the Brantley swing, the rear foot unweights simultaneous with the rearward barrel acceleration and continues until Brantley turns onto the tip of his toe at contact. The rear leg is dragged forward as the barrel turns to the ball. To me that means all of his weight is moving to his front foot starting at swing launch.
How is this one legged/rear legged?
You are reading too much into it. This is a little over simplified but at the moment the barrel begins to change direction there is more pressure on the back side then there is on the front side. Yes there is more to it but that's a simple explanation.

The gif you are talking about is just a drill...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Use the backside correctly and as a result the frontside works correctly. Creating a rotational axis around the back hip helps creates a deep rotational point for the hands/barrel. Before I learned this I was always to far on the front leg instead of hitting against the front leg.

Jul 29, 2013
Use the backside correctly and as a result the frontside works correctly. Creating a rotational axis around the back hip helps creates a deep rotational point for the hands/barrel. Before I learned this I was always to far on the front leg instead of hitting against the front leg.
So push the front of the pelvis rearward rather than the back of the pelvis forward? Move the axis rearward?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez