No stride and swinging from the launch, one legged?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
This is all I ask. Are you willing to answer some questions?

So over the last 5 years you haven't had your questions answered ? Wonder why newcomers seem to follow along to what I am stating..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So over the last 5 years you haven't had your questions answered ? Wonder why newcomers seem to follow along to what I am stating..

Not sure. The questions I want to ask have been asked before, but you have never been willing to answer them. Are you willing now?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sure as long as I haven't answered in the past.

Thank you. Two things I am trying to better understand. Let's see where this goes. And if I quote anything incorrectly here, please understand it is not intentional. I am not trying to misrepresent anyone or anything. Just trying to understand the differences.

1) You speak of not wanting a hitter to shift weight across the pelvis. How do you measure or recognize this? Earlier you asked me this question "Are you able to do that after passing through the one legged launch position so one can be on-time for the fb and continue to sit off-speed ? " My assumption is that you were implying that this would happen often. How do you prevent a hitter from "passing through" by shifting weight across the pelvis?

2) You speak of a rear leg/hip relationship. Can you explain what you mean? Does this include rear hip coil?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thank you. Two things I am trying to better understand. Let's see where this goes. And if I quote anything incorrectly here, please understand it is not intentional. I am not trying to misrepresent anyone or anything. Just trying to understand the differences.

1) You speak of not wanting a hitter to shift weight across the pelvis. How do you measure or recognize this?

I have answered this before but maybe not for you.. The method I use is live front toss.. When changing speeds to the hitter if they are able to continue sitting without giving up anything on the swing.

Earlier you asked me this question "Are you able to do that after passing through the one legged launch position so one can be on-time for the fb and continue to sit off-speed ? " My assumption is that you were implying that this would happen often. How do you prevent a hitter from "passing through" by shifting weight across the pelvis?

I don't use the one legged launch position with hitters.... I have answered this as well.. Shifting across the pelvis is caused by not having balanced reactions against the frontal plane movements.. Most of my work is done up-front with students learning how to move in the sagittal plane.. If all the effort is made in that plane while moving forward (towards pitcher) I don't know that its even possible to shift across the pelvis to the front leg.. It also allows for the meaningful coil blue speaks of without thinking or worrying about it.

2) You speak of a rear leg/hip relationship. Can you explain what you mean? Does this include rear hip coil?

I started using that because I was told by multiple people I wasn't using the word coil correctly.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thank you TDS. I appreciate your responses. But honestly, I am still having trouble understanding the difference between your teachings and mine (other than the obvious verbiage). For example, I also change speeds when working with students. Someone shifting to the front is very easy to spot (what I would consider shift then swing). I find it to be a very useful tool. You mention that the saggital plane movement "allows for the meaningful coil blue speaks of without thinking or worrying about it". Am I to understand that this meaningful coil is created while the move out is occurring? If so, how would this differ from "forward by coil"? Or is it the "by" part that is the issue?

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Thank you TDS. I appreciate your responses. But honestly, I am still having trouble understanding the difference between your teachings and mine (other than the obvious verbiage). For example, I also change speeds when working with students. Someone shifting to the front is very easy to spot (what I would consider shifting too swing). I find it to be a very useful tool. You mention that the saggital plane movement "allows for the meaningful coil blue speaks of without thinking or worrying about it". Am I to understand that this meaningful coil is created while the move out is occurring? If so, how would this differ from "forward by coil"? Or is it the "by" part that is the issue?

I honestly have no idea what fbc is anymore which is why all I care about is not loosing the rear leg hip relationship. I was told coil happens whenever something is moving around another object or bone.. Which translated to me anytime you move forward there is coil occurring... So in the end I don't think or worry about it..

I was also told fbc isn't something you teach but is part of the sequence..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA