No stride and swinging from the launch, one legged?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Personally I am not a fan of the terms "1-legged" or "2-legged". I think both are misleading and neither is accurate. That said, if they work for anyone on here, feel free to use them. My preference is "rear-legged". @pattar was nice enough to explain what COP means. That is where my focus is. The clip below is often shown for a completely different reason, but in my opinion it does a good job to represent my view.

In this clip, Manny comes to a pause when he lands on his front foot. In my opinion, it is at that point that he becomes 50/50 in respect to COP. However, he does not stay paused. While it is subtle, he requires a slight reload prior to his launch. In my opinion, that reload is what takes him from a 50/50 COP orientation to a rear-legged orientation. That orientation is a requirement for a swing at his level.

SLdH0N4.gif

First off, this clip IS A DRILL... Unfortunately it seems necessary to provide that type of clarity for some. This is a common drill used by some people that focus on a rear-legged orientation. However, it is pretty easy to see that the muscles in his front leg are still active in this swing. No, the front foot is not touching the ground, but that doesn't mean the front leg does nothing.

T9JGgQS.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Ultimately that is what it is all about. If your terminology works for those you are working with, great. The terminology I use with the hitters I work with, seems to work for them. As I have stated before, it has more to do with having the ability to teach. Words are just tools in that process.

good points. With this being said, getting the front foot down on time for the fastball is a must for me. I don’t convey it to any player. I just get them working through a balanced sequence. The front foot down a bit early closed and loaded. Much of what TDS and efastball state. I don’t think you should ever swing the front foot down. Much different muscles being used etc.

Just how I see it.

Reactions: TDS

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Personally I am not a fan of the terms "1-legged" or "2-legged". I think both are misleading and neither is accurate. That said, if they work for anyone on here, feel free to use them. My preference is "rear-legged". @pattar was nice enough to explain what COP means. That is where my focus is. The clip below is often shown for a completely different reason, but in my opinion it does a good job to represent my view.

In this clip, Manny comes to a pause when he lands on his front foot. In my opinion, it is at that point that he becomes 50/50 in respect to COP. However, he does not stay paused. While it is subtle, he requires a slight reload prior to his launch. In my opinion, that reload is what takes him from a 50/50 COP orientation to a rear-legged orientation. That orientation is a requirement for a swing at his level.

SLdH0N4.gif

First off, this clip IS A DRILL... Unfortunately it seems necessary to provide that type of clarity for some. This is a common drill used by some people that focus on a rear-legged orientation. However, it is pretty easy to see that the muscles in his front leg are still active in this swing. No, the front foot is not touching the ground, but that doesn't mean the front leg does nothing.

T9JGgQS.gif

So 50/50 is good as long as its dynamic ? Are you able to do that after passing through the one legged launch position so one can be on-time for the fb and continue to sit off-speed ? Is that something you teach ?

Assuming you would rather swing from a leveraged fyb position why not teach hitters to be dynamic while becoming leveraged ?

Also in the drill of the kid how is the front side (including front leg) being used other then to not lose his 1 legged balance ?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So 50/50 is good as long as its dynamic ? That is not what I said. Again you are being dishonest with your replies... Not good if you are trying to be a good role model for your minions. Are you able to do that after passing through the one legged launch position so one can be on-time for the fb and continue to sit off-speed ? Mis-leading, as usual... The clip below is Manny fighting like hell to remain rear-legged. He is doing his best to avoid making it to 50/50. Unfortunately, all hitters find the need to adjust at certain times. And sometimes that will get them closer to 50/50 than they want to. Is that something you teach ? Yes. Absolutely. I'm sure you do as well. Only I am not trying to misrepresent what you teach while you don't seem to be able to post without misrepresenting me. Go figure... It's pretty simple, if you can't ask an honest question without misrepresenting me, just don't ask the question. Fair enough?

Assuming you would rather swing from a leveraged fyb position why not teach hitters to be dynamic while becoming leveraged ? I do teach hitters to be dynamic and leveraged, both from a rear-legged orientation.

Also in the drill of the kid how is the front side (including front leg) being used other then to not lose his 1 legged balance ? I do not have a degree in kinesiology. However it seems pretty clear that his muscles are contracting and releasing throughout that practice swing. Sure he is using it for balance as well, but that is not it. In my opinion muscles can be used for more than one function at a time.

See my replies listed above...

So, I answered your questions to the best of my ability. Do you feel like answering any of mine without diverting further? Or aren't you willing to have an honest discussion?

0iEQzmk.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
See my replies listed above...

So, I answered your questions to the best of my ability. Do you feel like answering any of mine without diverting further? Or aren't you willing to have an honest discussion?

0iEQzmk.gif

FP26, you have said enough for me to understand your pattern of movement. I have said enough over the past 5 years for you to understand where I am coming from.. Teach them your pattern and I will teach them what I see and feel.

Theres a reason why you and some others continue to struggle with what some of us are saying.. The movements are different !!

XRu9Pmv.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
FP26, I will do my best to only show video when you ask questions as a means to resolve all the misrepresenting.. I will try to use more clips of Rich and his students to describe one legged hitting since they are the only ones I know of using the pattern...

KgnnOWo.gif

2IgoO4U.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
FP26, you have said enough for me to understand your pattern of movement. I have said enough over the past 5 years for you to understand where I am coming from.. Teach them your pattern and I will teach them what I see and feel.

Theres a reason why you and some others continue to struggle with what some of us are saying.. The movements are different !!

XRu9Pmv.gif

This is all I ask. Are you willing to answer some questions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA