No stride and swinging from the launch, one legged?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You missed the point about what what rear legged really is. Which honestly is not a surprise. You know what it means but choose to continue with the charade.

I swing a bat. I teach it. I don’t feel that. I feel in the middle or at 50/50. I scissor naturally. I have used Wallenbrock, Latta for help finding dynamic balance for myself or a player. So there is no charade...

If you are referencing my ‘anchor’ point description. That is a cue for a player to not push off, or get into the back leg/foot too much. I teach it as a ‘dead’ leg. Or I will say anchor the foot but said better, ‘ hold onto the ground. Don’t give it uo the ground freely as you move forward. What I want is no compensations with ground. Pushing out of or staying back on the rear leg creates a ton of swing compensations that few can come back from.

I truly think the front sets up the back to move forward. For since I’ve been on these hitting forums, the majority has always seen it the other way.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That is fine but whatever you call it actually isn't too difficult to see. What I see in the pros which some call 1-legged are hitters who have a COP nearer their back foot at launch (watch the front leg of most pros..it will straighten some after launch as the leg reacts to the ground force created by the swing) but who are also in a balanced position What I see from some amateurs who are "1-legged" (based upon my above definition) is an unbalanced position at launch.

I agree. It is definitely possible to be too 1-legged just as it is possible to be too 2-legged. It's all a matter of controlling that move. Frankly that is the only piece your DD is missing in my opinion. Once she figures that out she will be a stud.

Jun 8, 2016
I swing a bat. I teach it. I don’t feel that. I feel in the middle or at 50/50. I scissor naturally. I have used Wallenbrock, Latta for help finding dynamic balance for myself or a player. So there is no charade...
You think you would be able to feel the difference between 50/50 pressure distribution vs 60/40, etc? Feeling balanced to me would be an easier feel (apparently not for Marcela :LOL: ) then how much pressure I have distributed on my feet at launch..bat path will tell the story right?
Pushing out of or staying back on the rear leg creates a ton of swing compensations that few can come back from.
Agreed. I like Latta's stuff but to me when he says 50/50 at launch he is really talking about being in a balanced position vs how much pressure is distributed on the feet. In reality being 1-legged is a result of other things you are doing correctly. If you try and teach it independently you get some of the amateur swings I mentioned.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I agree. It is definitely possible to be too 1-legged just as it is possible to be too 2-legged. It's all a matter of controlling that move. Frankly that is the only piece your DD is missing in my opinion. Once she figures that out she will be a stud.
Of late she is all over the place with her swing but that is a story for a different day/thread ;)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

If you are referencing my ‘anchor’ point description. That is a cue for a player to not push off, or get into the back leg/foot too much. I teach it as a ‘dead’ leg. Or I will say anchor the foot but said better, ‘ hold onto the ground. Don’t give it uo the ground freely as you move forward. What I want is no compensations with ground. Pushing out of or staying back on the rear leg creates a ton of swing compensations that few can come back from.

I truly think the front sets up the back to move forward. For since I’ve been on these hitting forums, the majority has always seen it the other way.

The charade I am referring to is the insistence that myself and others consider rear legged to be something else. I was going to use the term misrepresentation but I figured charade would be nicer.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You think you would be able to feel the difference between 50/50 pressure distribution vs 60/40, etc? Feeling balanced to me would be an easier feel (apparently not for Marcela :LOL: ) then how much pressure I have distributed on my feet at launch..bat path will tell the story right?

Agreed.

Yeah. When I say 50/50, that’s a feel of being balanced in the middle. It’s not really about foot pressure. It’s just a cue to get to the middle. Once up front actions are in place; it’s not that hard. I use the cue when teaching. It’s usually not misinterpreted.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah. When I say 50/50, that’s a feel of being balanced in the middle. It’s not really about foot pressure. It’s just a cue to get to the middle. Once up front actions are in place; it’s not that hard. I use the cue when teaching. It’s usually not misinterpreted.
and when others (at least myself) are talking about being 1-legged it doesn't preclude being balanced at launch

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

The only time I find this true is if the weight has shifted across the pelvis to the front leg.. So in essence your still one legged but now front legged.

Jun 8, 2016
The only time I find this true is if the weight has shifted across the pelvis to the front leg.. So in essence your still one legged but now front legged.
Right, COP too close to the front leg at launch. Everybody agrees this is bad.

The whole 1-legged concept, to me, is irrevelant from a teaching standpoint as the amount of pressure you have on your feet at launch is the result of upstream actions many of which I think most of us agree on (with perhaps the exception of whether there is active handle torquing going on..) My point is do you really know where the COP is located based upon the pattern you ascribe to? It could be nearer to the back foot in which case based upon my definition of COP you would be 1-legged, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812