No stride and swinging from the launch, one legged?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You think you would be able to feel the difference between 50/50 pressure distribution vs 60/40, etc? Feeling balanced to me would be an easier feel (apparently not for Marcela :LOL: ) then how much pressure I have distributed on my feet at launch..bat path will tell the story right?

Agreed. I like Latta's stuff but to me when he says 50/50 at launch he is really talking about being in a balanced position vs how much pressure is distributed on the feet. In reality being 1-legged is a result of other things you are doing correctly. If you try and teach it independently you get some of the amateur swings I mentioned.

yes! bat path will let you know, which usually is a result of poor timing which is usually a result of poor balance. Some want to create a bigger move to the ball, thinking they will have more time. It usually just exacerbates the problem. I would never prescribe that.

Edit: imo bigger moves are for players that have higher mobility levels and need to stretch farther to take the slack out.

Jun 8, 2016
yes! bat path will let you know, which usually is a result of poor timing which is usually a result of poor balance. Some want to create a bigger move to the ball, thinking they will have more time. It usually just exacerbates the problem. I would never prescribe that.
Bigger moves do make it more difficult, I don't disagree (and have first hand experience with) but some hitters make it work 🤷‍♂️

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Right, COP too close to the front leg at launch. Everybody agrees this is bad.

The whole 1-legged concept, to me, is irrevelant from a teaching standpoint as the amount of pressure you have on your feet at launch is the result of upstream actions many of which I think most of us agree on (with perhaps the exception of whether there is active handle torquing going on..)

Besides active handle torque some see it as 1 legged "swing is the shift" vs getting into a leveraged 2 legged hitting position. Which I believe is why they don't use the term hitting position but instead use it as launch position.

vah2fp1.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Edit: imo bigger moves are for players that have higher mobility levels and need to stretch farther to take the slack out.
Agree. My DD is by far the most athletic kid on her team (she is also a year younger than all of them) and is really the only one who has a big move to the ball. While the other ones don't have great swings by and large, their swings are at least consistent (and "simple") which gives me a bit of envy since it would be a heck of a lot easier to work with them :LOL:

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah. When I say 50/50, that’s a feel of being balanced in the middle. It’s not really about foot pressure. It’s just a cue to get to the middle. Once up front actions are in place; it’s not that hard. I use the cue when teaching. It’s usually not misinterpreted.

Ultimately that is what it is all about. If your terminology works for those you are working with, great. The terminology I use with the hitters I work with, seems to work for them. As I have stated before, it has more to do with having the ability to teach. Words are just tools in that process.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee