No practices of any kind-a message from our district

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
Same thing here. HS field facilities are open to the general public all year round. There were adults walking the track as usual while DDs were there practicing softball.

I've also decided to stay away from our HS fields for the duration.

That makes no sense. You can walk the track but can’t use the softball field? Your much more likely to come in close contact with a stranger walking the track than practicing with your girls.

The entrances to the school should be blocked and proper signage posted if their serious about keeping people safe and off school grounds.
It’s good you found a place to practice.

More Moronic Parody
Public transportation, flights, daycare and bars still open.
Dont forget all those still going to work.

Those of us that are taking the brundt of social distancing are only doing it to help the healthcare system not get too overwelmed.
Wonder what the actual cost is equating to each person.
Our society is going to have to learn how to live side by side viruses. Our stop being a society. Reminds me that other countries lived thru sars.

May 29, 2015
Again ... YOUR high school association has declared this a DEAD PERIOD. That means your school cannot conduct any activities. As the coach, YOU are an agent of that school.

Being on the school field, using the school batting cages, using school equipment, etc. is the issue. If you weren't the high school coach, it wouldn't be a big deal. It isn't about "use the track, don't use the field".

I don't see anybody smuggling their kid into a classroom to teach math or English ...

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"Yesterday a message was sent out that schools are closed for ---. Teams and individuals should not be practicing. This includes team captains holding a practice.
No practices of any kind, with or without a coach. Avoid close contact with other individuals. Parents encourage your children to stay home and not come up to the high school and practice with their friends
."

Am I missing something?

The school is trying to stop "optional mandatory" practices.

"Optional mandatory" practices happen all the time in college and in HS.

The coach "encourages" the team captain to arrange a practice, without ever actually saying "have a practice". The team captain then tells the coach who attended. Sometimes the coach suggests specific practice plans.

The coach has plausible deniability in case anyone asks questions.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
The school is trying to stop "optional mandatory" practices.

"Optional mandatory" practices happen all the time in college and in HS.

The coach "encourages" the team captain to arrange a practice, without ever actually saying "have a practice". The team captain then tells the coach who attended. Sometimes the coach suggests specific practice plans.

The coach has plausible deniability in case anyone asks questions.

Except everyone knows the coach is doing this now and it is probably the most efficient way to end your coaching career within that program or kill the program and have players just go to other sports/teams.

Mar 10, 2020
When schools here are closed campus and facilities are locked. That was implemented years ago. Campus lock downs while school is in session seemed to happen somewhere locally monthly.
Also implemented years ago.
Locked in locked out, make up their mind.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
We just left our local high schools batting cage. It was myself, my daughter and my son. I don't see any difference if we are at the high school batting cage or if we are out in the front yard shooting hoops.
Could be a liability issue. If someone using the high school facilities contracts the disease, the school may be held liable.

Also, by using the facilities, it puts a burden on the school to have to go out there and clean and disinfect the area, such as gates, dugouts, etc. That's not fair to the school. They may not have the staff, equipment or supplies to do that right now.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Again ... YOUR high school association has declared this a DEAD PERIOD. That means your school cannot conduct any activities. As the coach, YOU are an agent of that school.

Being on the school field, using the school batting cages, using school equipment, etc. is the issue. If you weren't the high school coach, it wouldn't be a big deal. It isn't about "use the track, don't use the field".

I don't see anybody smuggling their kid into a classroom to teach math or English ...

Is this a response to me, the OP? I don't have any role on any of the coaching staff in the district. I'm a dad in town who brought his daughters to practice on the field, just the three of us.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Could be a liability issue. If someone using the high school facilities contracts the disease, the school may be held liable.

I can't imagine how anyone could prove they contracted a disease specifically from the outdoor HS facilities. I would love to hear a lawyers opinion on this one.
If it is a matter of keeping up appearances, then there is some logic to that. Not much, but some.

Also, by using the facilities, it puts a burden on the school to have to go out there and clean and disinfect the area, such as gates, dugouts, etc. That's not fair to the school. They may not have the staff, equipment or supplies to do that right now.
The school will have to clean the entire track area if that is the case. If the district really wants to keep surfaces as clean a possible they should lock all the gates around all the facilities. Also, the message went out through the team's social media site. I was taking my girls to that field to practice since they were in elementary school. If my girls were still in elementary school I would've never seen that message and taken them to the field. If there was a sign up on the field saying closed to the general public it would've made more sense. BTW, the gates to the softball field were not locked. That would've been a clear message.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Those of us that are taking the brundt of social distancing are only doing it to help the healthcare system not get too overwelmed.

I'm requiring DD's to practice social distancing because I'm in a higher risk category.

I for one am most grateful to those who are "taking the brunt of social distancing are only doing it to help the healthcare system not get too overwhelmed."

Jun 8, 2016
I was taking my girls to that field to practice since they were in elementary school.
You are lucky they let you do that during "normal times". A few years ago I took my then 8 YO DD and 3 YO DS to the local HS field to play. We started playing and about 20 minutes in the HS coach came in with a full head of steam and told us we were not allowed to do that. The field is not near the HS and there was nobody there when we arrived (the gates were wide open) so they must have cameras setup. I really didn't think anything of it since I grew up practicing on my local HS field but I guess around here that is a no-no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad