School ball and not playing for attending a funeral

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2018
Just curious and wanted to ask those with more knowledge than me. DD missed practice yesterday, school absence for a close family member funeral. Game today and she is sitting the whole game.

I get not playing girls that blow off a practice before a game but in this situation it seems a bit heartless to not even sub her in.

And we did message the coach ahead of time to make her aware of situation.

Thoughts?

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I wouldn't have done it. But some coaches are stricter than me.

I don't think it is a big deal one way or the other. It is more like, "Her sandbox, her rules."

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
At the beginning of the Season what did the coach communicate to the team about being absent?

Coaches hear a lot of reasons for being absent. That is an unfortunate one. But unfortunately there are other reasons to be absent that are very valuable to the individual also like doctors appointments. Sometimes they cannot be made at a time that does not conflict with softball and yet it still has the human element of importance.

Not saying one decision is right or wrong however it is something to consider the coach has to sort through.
Maybe best to just have a standard policy that covers everything.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018
At the beginning of the Season what did the coach communicate to the team about being absent?

Coaches hear a lot of reasons for being absent. That is an unfortunate one. But unfortunately there are other reasons to be absent that are very valuable to the individual also like doctors appointments. Sometimes they cannot be made at a time that does not conflict with softball and yet it still has the human element of importance.

Not saying one decision is right or wrong however it is something to consider the coach has to sort through.
Maybe best to just have a standard policy that covers everything.
Some good points everyone makes. The school absence was called in and reason was stated. Also send a message to coach explaining she would not be at practice as she will be absent from school with the reason. We know coach read the message.

There was no issue with girls.blowing off practice early in season and they agreed if you miss practice day before the game then you don't play. I don't think these girls realized what that all meant and that even sick school absence landed you to not play.

Seems really heartless to me and given all we see with students and emotional well being the field is their comfort zone and to take that away day 1 back is not helping them.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2012
When DD was in HS there were certain reasons for missing that were excused. Doctors appointments, school related conflicts & funerals topped that list.

Even in college there’s certain reasons that are excused. Like classes that can’t be missed, doctors, funerals etc.
she’s a senior and has missed for class, a friend’s funeral that the school provided transportation for, a migraine, and I’m not sure what else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802