School ball and not playing for attending a funeral

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1. Personal and reasonable choice depending on relationship.
2. If it was repercussions for a funeral time to find a new job. That is different for striking out 4 times and going to the bench.
3. This is school, should try to be fair.

To many times schools and coaches develop the attitude that the kids are there for them instead of that they are there for the kids.

Here is a life lesson, never defend the indefensible because you relate to the group.
I referred to the coach as a "meathead," which is not defending the coach. Perhaps you should read what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote.

Anyway, the OP was from April 26. The game was April 27. It is now May 2. So, the kid has already sat out the game...and, presumably, the kid is back to playing just as she did before the incident. It is over and done.

My suggestion is for the parent to try to use this to teach valuable lessons. Sitting around whining and moaning isn't going to change anything.

Apr 14, 2022
I referred to the coach as a "meathead," which is not defending the coach. Perhaps you should read what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote.

Anyway, the OP was from April 26. The game was April 27. It is now May 2. So, the kid has already sat out the game...and, presumably, the kid is back to playing just as she did before the incident. It is over and done.

My suggestion is for the parent to try to use this to teach valuable lessons. Sitting around whining and moaning isn't going to change anything.
I did not reply to you.
What is the valuable lesson? Softball is more important than funerals? She will never have reprocossions for a similar event in her life?

The more valuable life lesson is to change the injustice for the next time.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I did not reply to you.
What is the valuable lesson? Softball is more important than funerals?

That coaches, teachers, supervisors, parents, higher powers and other superiors will have rules that we won't like and we'll have important choices to make as to how to respond. And that some things are worth fighting for, and others are better tolerated for a greater good. And that it's important to have values/priorities that help us sort out when to seek change and when to leave it alone. A child, with good counsel, might also learn not to make quick judgments about fairness. Might learn to talk with the coach, ask respectfully why the coach has this rule. Might get a lesson a lesson in empathy, negotiation and relationship-building along the way.

I'm not seeing anyone hardly who is supporting the coach's policies. I see many who are saying this is not a battle worth fighting because (1) it's unlikely to succeed, (2) it risks harming the team and (3) missing one softball game is not a great tragedy, among other things.

Jun 8, 2016
That coaches, teachers, supervisors, parents, higher powers and other superiors will have rules that we won't like and we'll have important choices to make as to how to respond. And that some things are worth fighting for, and others are better tolerated for a greater good. And that it's important to have values/priorities that help us sort out when to seek change and when to leave it alone. A child, with good counsel, might also learn not to make quick judgments about fairness. Might learn to talk with the coach, ask respectfully why the coach has this rule. Might get a lesson a lesson in empathy, negotiation and relationship-building along the way.

I'm not seeing anyone hardly who is supporting the coach's policies. I see many who are saying this is not a battle worth fighting because (1) it's unlikely to succeed, (2) it risks harming the team and (3) missing one softball game is not a great tragedy, among other things.
I have made some decisions over the years in my career in name of upholding my "principles" which have resulted in my family being hurt financially due to retribution. Money isn't everything obviously but neither is a selfish need to be a beacon of integrity when the cause isn't a matter of personal harm to any one person..Sometimes the phrase "don't die on that hill" is something which needs to be considered..

May 17, 2012
(3) missing one softball game is not a great tragedy, among other things.

This was my initial thought. If the coach has a team policy, "If you miss practice the day before a game you can't play in the game" it is what it is. I am sure the team has subs and it was time for another player to step up and play. Definitely not a crisis, this is why you carry extra players on the roster.

I found the comment by the OP to be odd, " it seems a bit heartless to not even sub her in". Why does she even have to play at all...it's just one game.

Apr 14, 2022

Coaches are not superiors to the parents.
1. If it unlikely to succeed we have bigger issues. This is what I have been posting about. It is arrogance and control.
2. It harmed the team by benching a starter.
3. Missing one practice for a funeral is not a tragedy.
I see no greater good. In this case supporting is condoning and justifying.

Jun 8, 2016
When it comes to how the team is run, they are. Just like when you get to college, the professors are
superior to the parents when it comes to how grades are handed out or when you get a job your boss controls whether you get a raise or not.

Considering pretty much everybody is calling the coach an idiot, I guess you are upset that none of us are suggesting the parent go to the AD/Dean/CEO to complain every time something "unjust" happens to their Suzy? If so then my supposedly unrelated "helicopter parent" comment a few pages back wasn't so unrelated..

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
1. If it unlikely to succeed we have bigger issues. This is what I have been posting about. It is arrogance and control.
2. It harmed the team by benching a starter.
3. Missing one practice for a funeral is not a tragedy.
I see no greater good. In this case supporting is condoning and justifying.
"Coaches are not superiors to the parents."??? On the field they are.
I am shocked that such a small issue got to 8 pages long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad