No practice no play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Glad to see this topic discussed. I am in a situation with a couple of my 12u TB players right now. Our first TB tournament is this weekend , I had one girl miss practice on Tuesday to go to a rec ball game and I had another miss yesterday for a rec ball game. Both sets of parents were told how important it was for their daughter to be at practice for TB , but both chose to go to rec ball and skip our practice. I am thinking about sitting both for the tourney. What do you guys think? LMK

BTW.. Rec ball is really terrible around here and we have told our TB players that we "prefer" that they dont play rec at all.

If Rec ball is really terrible, then your TB players are probably the best on the team. I don't think you can get too upset at them for not wanting to let their Rec team down by missing a game for TB practice. Rec ball should be over soon. If you don't want your players playing Rec, tell them they "can't", not that you "prefer" they didn't.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
If Rec ball is really terrible, then your TB players are probably the best on the team. I don't think you can get too upset at them for not wanting to let their Rec team down by missing a game for TB practice. Rec ball should be over soon. If you don't want your players playing Rec, tell them they "can't", not that you "prefer" they didn't.
Just wanted to chime in and say that I agree. However, I have seen girls refuse TB offers because the coach wouldn't let them continue to play rec ball. That being said, rec ball around here is GOOD.

Jan 24, 2011
Would be nice to have some GOOD rec ball around here. These games are taking 2- 2.5 hours to complete. There is no consistent pitching and there is a HUGE gap between the talent levels of the players. Just not a good environment for the better players to improve their games.

Mar 13, 2010
Does rec ball play the full seven innings? Why? We have timed games here and it's much better on the kids who are learning. It's not till semis that we have the full seven innings. (and I always get shouted down when I suggest that the Juniors should be playing seven innings for the month beforehand. Too hard on them. Of course, they all wilt when it comes to finals time and no-one can understand why!)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is beyond me how parents expect their girls to know what plays were learned and discussed, when their kid wasn't at practice.

Is it the girl's fault? No. But one activity has to take priority over the other and these parents showed which one they preferred.

Having been the mom of a pitcher, it is awful to see girls that haven't put the practice in, drop the ball, not cover the base, etc. because they had other priorities.

Oct 18, 2009
Glad to see this topic discussed. I am in a situation with a couple of my 12u TB players right now. Our first TB tournament is this weekend , I had one girl miss practice on Tuesday to go to a rec ball game and I had another miss yesterday for a rec ball game. Both sets of parents were told how important it was for their daughter to be at practice for TB , but both chose to go to rec ball and skip our practice. I am thinking about sitting both for the tourney. What do you guys think? LMK

BTW.. Rec ball is really terrible around here and we have told our TB players that we "prefer" that they dont play rec at all.

If they miss practice for us they just don't start the first game. We let let them know that's the reason.

Nov 1, 2009
Competitive cheer is like travel ball in expense and time commitment and so is the volleyball scenerio. You are playing rec ball and quite frankly the two games a week should be enough for that level of commitment. Have your girls arrive an hour before the games and you could kill two birds with one stone. That would open up the Saturdays for one of your players. The other one I would work around the best I could.

I have always said to the coaches in my organization that your number one priority is to make sure no girl quits softball because of the experience you provided. Too many coaches think winning is the most important aspect of their jobs and the reality is winning is a byproduct of all the other things you do. Make it fun for everyone.

Jan 24, 2011
It is beyond me how parents expect their girls to know what plays were learned and discussed, when their kid wasn't at practice.

Is it the girl's fault? No. But one activity has to take priority over the other and these parents showed which one they preferred.

Having been the mom of a pitcher, it is awful to see girls that haven't put the practice in, drop the ball, not cover the base, etc. because they had other priorities.

I agree. I am not going to let the success of these comitted players be sabotaged by girls who would rather go play rec ball than come to TB practices. The two that missed practice will have to sit this weekend. Should be a true test to see if they are willing to commit to this TEAM. If not , they will be more than welcome to move on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32