Travel Ball vs. HS Sports vs. other club sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Coaches, how do you handle 16U players missing practice and/or games on a Saturday due to a HS Volleyball Tourney or a club flag football game? Do they get less play time on Sunday? How about missing due to a party, prom, homecoming? Where do you draw the line?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
If a girl aspires to play softball in college, missing a softball tournament for a volleyball tournament or any other sporting event is inexcusable. My daughter's former coach had a team with a bunch of girls who also played volleyball, and scheduling was a nightmare because they always had conflicts. Eventually, it came back to bite him when they all chose volleyball over softball and quit his team, leaving his daughter with no team.

Proms, family weddings, homecoming, and other events of that ilk are different stories.

Nov 18, 2015
I think the season it occurs should be a consideration - in the NE/Mid-Atlantic, fall is more of an off-season - volleyball and soccer are usually the primary HS sports.

But if you're on a national team, and missing tournaments where college coaches are attending, or the results impact invites or other eligibility requirements for the spring, then yes, I think you'd be justified in having it impact their playing time.

Jun 8, 2016
DD missed one tournament for an AAU bball tournament. The softball tournament was garbage and I sort of did it as a protest. Next tournament she sat the first pool game..that was the same tournament where I got into a wrestling match in the parking lot so maybe I should have had her skip that one too..:rolleyes:

May 17, 2023
DD missed one tournament for an AAU bball tournament. The softball tournament was garbage and I sort of did it as a protest. Next tournament she sat the first pool game..that was the same tournament where I got into a wrestling match in the parking lot so maybe I should have had her skip that one too..:rolleyes:

Were you wrestling the coach who sat her? :ROFLMAO:

May 21, 2018
We always try to have a discussion with the coach pre-joining the team. DD plays vball also, so there is a block of time she won't be as available. We also talk with the vball coach ahead of time. That way there shouldn't be any questions about how it is handled during the season.

We try and be flexible with the quality and importance of whatever event/tournament is coming up in each respective sport. Hasn't been much of an issue up to 16u, but it's getting to be a PIA trying find time for off field practice.

That's a long winded way of agreeing with pattar's post #5.

May 20, 2016
It's up to the coach. My DD misses half the practices and has missed a couple games. She discussed with the coach prior to the start of the season. Hasn't affected her playing time. Not like she's missing games to go to the mall.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles