No practice no play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
A little more detail:

I would say on a scale of 1-10 (1= least, 10=most) our rec league is a 6 in terms of effort and competitiveness. We have been playing in this league since T-ball and there are about 5 other teams that we play regularly season over season. I have girls on the team who play soccer, tennis, swim, track, etc., many of who miss occasional games and practices. The general rule is that you can miss the practice of one sport to participate in a game of another sport when conflict arises.

Perhaps I am asking for too much commitment, that is why I am seeking opinions.

My quandary is, when you know up front the schedule of events (practice and game dates and times) and something else comes along that peeks your interest perhaps a little more, do you honor your original commitment or go with your other interest?

I want to be clear, I am not saying if you miss 1 practice you cannot play the next game(s). This specific situation, the girl indicated that she would not be attending any more practices the remainder of the season because she was going to be attending practices of another interest. I would be more receptive to alternating practices between softball and cheer.

Jun 18, 2010
The parents over scheduled the girls.

Amy, that is really what is happening. Heck we even do it with our own DD, with the exception that we pick a primary sport. By primary sport, I mean when it is SB season, SB is the primary, when it is Basketball season it is the primary, Volleyball, etc... So many of these sports play year around. My DD was also asked to play summer volleyball, and she would have except SB games are Mon/Wed, and summer volleyball games are Wed... so we made a choice, it is SB season, so we are playing SB. I coach my DDs SB and Basketball. I coach my son's Baseball, so as a coach, I am sensitive to making sure I communicate with the coaches of other sports our scheduling conflicts and our priorities up front before the season starts. For example, DD was playing baskeball last winter and a Volleyball coach wanted her to play Volleyball at the same time, we communicated with the Volleyball coach that since it was Basketball season that Basketball is our priority and would make all of the Volleyball practices and games we could around our Basketball schedule. We communicated this up front and let the Volleyball coach decided if that would work for her and her team, fortunately it did. I guess that is really the same type of consideration I look for as a coach.

Mar 13, 2010
For me, if I was signing a daughter up for rec softball, I wouldn't be going into a team that has three days a week with softball. I think that's too much when it's not travel or rep.

Having said that, they DID sign up for it and were informed of it at the start of the season. Skipping EVERY practise is a big no-no. The volleyball girl should be told she's made a committment to be with the softball team and should honor this.

Apr 26, 2011
rec ball in my area is pretty serious. using your scale, i'd say it's an 8. Lozza, depending on their location, three days might be standard. I have that same attitude but more towards park leagues that allow players to play for free and just for fun. We used to do Tues, Thurs and Saturdays. Most likely, we would play double headers on Saturdays. Note this is 8u.

Had that same problem. Solution......sit the girl our every other inning and when she did play, played a non demanding position. Talk to parents to set expectations and force them to understand your position. I had this same problem and i handled it firmly but with a positive attitude. parents took the girl out in the middle of a game and never came back. the dad and mom still keep in touch with random text messages to see how the team is doing. weird......

Apr 13, 2010
Depends on your definition of rec ball. Where I live rec ball is strictly rec ball. Equal play, equal time no matter how often you do or do not show up to practice.

Jul 26, 2010
Our rec league has a minimum 3 innings played by the 5th inning for every player. While I can't keep kids from playing at all (unless they show up late) I give them the minimum and no more if they miss practice.

Most rec leagues run rosters of 12 or more because kids are going to miss games.

Here's a general priority hierarchy that I expect kids to adhere to. I use this for my travel ball team and I expect similar hierarchy for my rec girls (IE I expect them to miss for travel sport stuff):

1.) Family comes first, if grandma got hit by a truck, go to her funeral
2.) Academics comes second, no grades no play
3.) Travel ball (any sport) games
4.) Rec ball (any sport) games
5.) Travel ball practice
6.) Rec ball practice

I don't think kids should be shoehorned into a single sport at young ages, and it isn't there fault that adults didn't think about their situation when the schedules were made. Follow the guidelines and they'll be fine.

-W

Feb 3, 2011
For me, if I was signing a daughter up for rec softball, I wouldn't be going into a team that has three days a week with softball. I think that's too much when it's not travel or rep.
We're 3 days a week in our rec league, too, and I also do supplemental practice sessions for girls who want more work on something. We always have a Saturday game (only one doubleheader for us) and a weekday game and then a practice day or two.

If a player cannot practice for whatever reason, it's no big deal to me at all. With rare exceptions, the parents let me know in advance.

I've only had one player miss a game without letting me know. Her grandfather was in his final hours of life. All other misses, the parents have told me in advance so that I could adjust the lineup and field assignments accordingly.

Knightsb, the fact that your players told you exactly when they would not be available during the season puts you way ahead of the game. Missed games means more playing time for everyone else.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Even in TB it happens, maybe not to the extent but still. This year I already know that I have 1 player missing our State Tournament due to Cheerleading Camp... I know, I know lol. Last year I had a couple of girls miss Tournaments for B-Ball and Soccer... For me I enjoy having players that play mutiple sports, we deal with it and move on.

Oct 19, 2009
Your team, your rules. The key however is to make your rules known upfront during the preseason meeting. Then when a players mom tells you dd won't be practicing anymore or is playing volleyball on game days the consequences are already understood. Enforce them consistently. I don't think it matters what age or whether it's rec or travel.

Jan 24, 2011
Glad to see this topic discussed. I am in a situation with a couple of my 12u TB players right now. Our first TB tournament is this weekend , I had one girl miss practice on Tuesday to go to a rec ball game and I had another miss yesterday for a rec ball game. Both sets of parents were told how important it was for their daughter to be at practice for TB , but both chose to go to rec ball and skip our practice. I am thinking about sitting both for the tourney. What do you guys think? LMK

BTW.. Rec ball is really terrible around here and we have told our TB players that we "prefer" that they dont play rec at all.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32