No practice no play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I also coach 12U rec ball and I understand your frustration. You're giving your all so you team can have the best experience and it's frustrating when the players and/or parents don't share your commitment.

That said in my opinion your penalties are too harsh for rec ball. Even though it's "your team" you may hear from the league board if the parents complain about their daughter sitting on the bench the entire game.

I would move them down in the batting order, have them play less, and when they do play it's mostly if not all in the outfield. I would explain to them and the parents that the more committed players are going to get the benefits of more playing time, infield time, etc.

In your two cases it looks like the players themselves are choosing different priorities over softball. In a lot of cases the parents are responsible for not getting the girls to practice, etc. I won't hold that against the players.

Travel ball is different. One local TB coach has the policy that there are no excused absences. If you miss practice you don't play in the next game - no exceptions. That way he doesn't have to try to determine which reasons are excused and which aren't.

Jun 18, 2010
I have learned a lot from this situation, and the input provided, thanks.

Here is what has happened since Wednesday night:

Make sure you know your league rules.
A few mentioned rec league equal play rules. I contacted my rec league and sure enough our rec league requires equal play however it is not posted on their website, nor have they been able to send me anything where that is explicitly stated. I have been coaching multiple sports in this league for many years and have always made sure playing time was equal; however this is something I should have known. So even if I wanted to, sit her out, I technically couldn’t have with the rec league rules, but since we signed up as a team, I could technically cut her from the team and refund her fees paid (I would not do that, just stating options).

Establish guidelines and priorities at the beginning of the season.
Although we communicated schedules, we did not effectively communicate our expectations for attending practice and games and or any consequences related. Something that I take for granted like making sure my DD is at all the games and practices; others may not feel that is as important. It is my job as the coach to outline my expectations, rules and consequences up front.

Rec leagues (as I am sure other leagues) vary in intensity and level of play. Our Rec league is decent, not great, but not horrible either. The competition I would say is probably equal to “C” level ball (some teams better, some worse). Some league players are also TB players.

I backed off my no practice no play stance with this player. I contacted her mother and we worked things out whereby should could attend some practices. I know some have a more relaxed approach to showing up at games and practices, but I personally want my players to be the best prepared they can for the level of play we compete. I also like to know in advance who will be at practice and who will not because I preplan our practice agenda and set up scrimmages. I am aware how important it is for this to be a fun experience and to create an atmosphere that makes them want to play year after year.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful responses.

Feb 3, 2011
Ages 9-12. Most all the good pitchers are playing TB now and have left Rec ball completely.
The length of those games is an issue you should take to your league and have them repair this off-season. 8u/10u/12u should be in timed games. 80-90 min for 8u, 90 min for 10u, and 90-100 min for 12u.

A small handful of us locally are making a conscious effort to keep more of the talent in the league at least into or through 12u. A year ago, my then-7yo DD was all about getting to TB. Now, though, because she's had such a great season, she's talking about staying in rec for at least 2 more years. :)

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
The rec program here is pretty good. We have both A and B tb teams that compete with those of us that are just strictly rec.

On our team we have 2 girls who are in orchestra, 1 in dance, a few in drama, a few in choir, 1 who babysits 1 day a week. So there are certain practices that we KNOW Sally won't be at, or Becky, or Susie. I did manage to get a game rescheduled for us when it affected the 2 girls in orchestra (who go to different schools, but there was like a battle of the bands thing going on that both of them were going to be at).

I do like that we have a more versitile team with lots of interests, and that the coach doesn't sit these girls because they have other activities. BUT I also think that if you are missing for other reasons than committments you had prior to the start of the season, there should be some consequences.

Truthfully, my dd could miss 75% of practice, but the coach probably wouldn't sit her out. But that is not fair to her teammates. How are they supposed to get better if they are not all working together at practice, each practice? So far she has missed 2 practices, 1 for an orchestra thing (ok that was only part of a practice since she wore her practice clothes to the event) and 1 for being sick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck