Travel Ball vs. HS Sports vs. other club sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We had a committed player on our team that went MIA during Saturday play. Her future college showed up to watch her play and asked me where she was. I told her I don't know. Coach wasn't too pleased. Heard through the player rumor mill that she going to attend the Travis Scott Astroworld concert. This player ended up on Juco team the following fall.

Feb 24, 2022
We are a 2nd year 14u team (all of our girls just started 9th grade), and we dealt with this issue big time in the Fall. It's amazing how every coach talks about encouraging "multi sport athletes", but when the rubber hits the road, their team better be the priority. I have to say, our club head coach was fantastic with this, and she bent over backwards to try to schedule/request tournament games that didn't conflict with HS spots games.
Our issue was on the HS side. I get giving the "have to pick your priorities" speech, and my daughter got it from the volleyball coach. We never missed a game, or left a practice early to go to softball practice. But she told the coach that softball tournament games took priority over VB practices on Saturdays. She wasn't "punished" on the Freshman team, but is afraid it will happen next year at JV. What's even more ridiculous is that some girls were told by their HS coaches that they had to watch varsity games - from the crowd, not dressed on the sideline, and that took priority over club tournaments on weekends. That is total BS in my book and had some of our girls in tears when they told our SB coach that they had to miss a tournament game.

Jun 4, 2019
If you are playing a HS sport, that would have to come first. Missing HS practices/games are unacceptable. Not many coaches care about your other in-season activities.

Now Maybe that depends on the size school you go to, but a large competitive HS won’t allow you to miss to go to some club activity. Unless it’s it’s an educational function.

Jun 29, 2023
I think it comes down to communication and how good you are. Our hs is a big school. The best basketball player the last couple years turned out to be a D1 soccer player. She missed multiple basketball games to go to soccer showcases over the last couple years. Coach was just happy she played, missing for soccer was never a problem.

Aug 5, 2022
I think it comes down to communication and how good you are. Our hs is a big school. The best basketball player the last couple years turned out to be a D1 soccer player. She missed multiple basketball games to go to soccer showcases over the last couple years. Coach was just happy she played, missing for soccer was never a problem.

This was just like my daughter. She was an outstanding soccer player (could have easily played D1 likely power 5) and a valuable basketball player who is going to play power 5 softball. We were lucky to have coaches who were incredibly supportive and just happy to have her. She worked so hard and gives 110%. Both coaches cared enough to come to her NLI ceremony. We also tried to be respectful. We often drove really late at night and really early in the morning so that we minimized what we missed as little has possible. She came early and stayed late to get her reps in when we would be missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles