No practice no play?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
We have been practicing Wednesdays and Saturdays for a month. Our rec league season starts Monday. Once the season starts we have games on Monday and Wednesday and keep our Saturday practices. Before we signed up in the league (as a team), my wife (team manager), told all the parents that games were Monday/Wednesday and practice is on Saturday. Last night (our last Wednesday practice before games start), I had two girls come up to me after practice....

Girl 1: I have competitive cheer "practice" on Saturdays so I wont be at any more Saturday practices. Keep in mind our only league assigned practice is on Saturday, and the parents knew this going into the season.

Girl 2: I have had a summer league volleyball coach ask me to play on his team, and the volleyball games are on Wednesdays, will this be a problem?

(Insert rant here)
Parents who have never "volunteered" to coach, do not understand how big of a time commitment it is. As a coach over the years, we have rescheduled vacations when last minute schedule changes have occured. I am the first one at practice, usually 30 minutes before setting up stations and unloading gear. I am the last to leave the field making sure all players have been safely picked up. You guys know what I am talking about... In my opinion when you sign up to play on a team, you are agreeing to make your best effort to attend all practices and games. I know there are situations that cause you to miss an occasional practice or game. I guess I am a bit aggravated that the parents force me to manage these situations, instead of dealing with it.

Here is what I did...
Girl 1 - If you don't practice, you do not play.
Girl 2 - You signed up to play softball, our games are Mon/Wed. I cannot tell you what to do with summer volleyball, but if you were my DD, I would tell you that you committed to the softball team and that is our first priority.

Coaches, how do you handle these two situations?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It depends on the age and how "serious" your rec league is. I coach a LL juniors team (14U) in addition to being an assistant on DD's TB team (12U), and they are very different animals. I have 20 girls rostered for rec, and struggle to get 10 at a game. The girls on the TB team know that every practice is an opportunity to improve, and if they miss one, somebody else is working to take their spot - we almost always have a full roster for every TB practice/game. Rec is more a social occasion for the girls, and I would certainly lose more players if I benched players for missing practices or games. If I looked for only "committed" players for rec, I would not be able to field a team.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Agree with the statements about how "serious" your program is. Around here, rec ball is not like rec ball in the rest of the world. It's good softball... at that age, if girls are missing practice on a regular basis they don't play (other than what they must play based on our rules).

Jan 15, 2009
My attitude for Rec ball (in our area) is that participation is 100% the point and to me that means that to the best of your ability provide equal opportunity to participate to the kids that show up at each event with almost no penalty for lack of ability to make it another time. If they wanted to be held to a greater level of commitment there are activities that require that upfront and state penalties for not meeting that commitment clearly ahead of time. You may be dealing with kids that specifically chose not to play travel ball because they knew in advance that skipping for dance/volleyball would not be tolerated. At the very least they are communicating to you their expected schedule which is better than some Rec parents who in a similar situation would just not show up and leave you wondering.

If you feel committed to penalizing these kids i would recommend something less harsh than if you don't come today you will 100% not play tomorrow. Maybe say that they will not start and or will move to the bottom of the batting order to reward the kids that do show up regularly.

FYI,
I've had Rec parents so bold that they suggested that since Suzy missed last game (or will miss the next game) she should play 100% of this game.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
My attitude for Rec ball (in our area) is that participation is 100% the point and to me that means that to the best of your ability provide equal opportunity to participate to the kids that show up at each event with almost no penalty for lack of ability to make it another time. If they wanted to be held to a greater level of commitment there are activities that require that upfront and state penalties for not meeting that commitment clearly ahead of time. You may be dealing with kids that specifically chose not to play travel ball because they knew in advance that skipping for dance/volleyball would not be tolerated. At the very least they are communicating to you their expected schedule which is better than some Rec parents who in a similar situation would just not show up and leave you wondering.

If you feel committed to penalizing these kids i would recommend something less harsh than if you don't come today you will 100% not play tomorrow. Maybe say that they will not start and or will move to the bottom of the batting order to reward the kids that do show up regularly.

FYI,
I've had Rec parents so bold that they suggested that since Suzy missed last game (or will miss the next game) she should play 100% of this game.

This is a very balanced approach to the spirit of rec ball. :)

Good luck with your team!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
knightsb, what you are saying is, "Softball has to be your #1 priority. If it is not, then you aren't going to play." Kids play rec rather than travel ball because softball isn't their top priority. That is the whole point of rec ball--it isn't as serious as travel ball.

Obviously, the kids who show up for all the practices and games should get the lions share of playing time. But, kids who can't make the practices should be allowed to play 2 or 3 innings each game.

Come on, you wouldn't treat your buddies on the local slowpitch team this way.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
knightsb, what you are saying is, "Softball has to be your #1 priority. If it is not, then you aren't going to play." Kids play rec rather than travel ball because softball isn't their top priority. That is the whole point of rec ball--it isn't as serious as travel ball.

Obviously, the kids who show up for all the practices and games should get the lions share of playing time. But, kids who can't make the practices should be allowed to play 2 or 3 innings each game.

Come on, you wouldn't treat your buddies on the local slowpitch team this way.

Agree 100%

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I appreciate the problem that you have. Softball is a dangerous sport. If you are 12 and you are not practicing, you aren't going to learn to protect yourself. Plus, you aren't going to learn the plays, how to hit or how to bunt.

I am guessing that you aren't LL, because there are mandatory play rules.

But, why practice with a girl that won't be at the games? I can't practice run downs, with her at second (for example.)

The parents over scheduled the girls. Rec ball is a short time in the summer and they should have known that.

Coach, I hear your frustration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32