NFCA Discussions on slowing down early recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Our coach returned last night from NFCA and mentioned the discussions about shortening the fall season so I read the posted info.

DD plays on a team that does go out of town and played the D9 tourney in Florida this past Nov. I wasn't to happy about her missing school to play on Friday. Apparently the folks at Riseball Camps think this is not a good idea as well. As long as some coaches are willing to pull their kids out of school to travel and play the tourney directors will keep playing on Thursdays and Fridays.

I sort of liked the idea of contact after the sophomore year since it's going on anyway via third party but question whether kids signing the NLI in their JR year was such a good idea. I understand the rational behind it but don't think the goal will be achieved.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Some interesting concepts, but unfortunately it also has it's share half baked nonsense. There seems to be a very clear vision of the small picture.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Lots of good discussion. I don't think they should eliminate fall tournaments. Fall tournaments often provide a nice way for seniors who haven't yet signed to get picked up. That said, I could see limiting fall tournaments to 18U only. I don't see the point of showcasing a 14 year old in the fall of her freshman year.

Feb 12, 2014
The problem with limiting tournaments to 18U is that many teams, including the one my dd played on have players that are 14 and 16U on them. My dd started playing in the fall exposure tournament here in St. Louis when she was 14 against 18U competition.

18U in my area is very limited in my area, my DD played 16U/18U showcases this fall as a freshman. She had some great experiences this fall which will definitely help prepare her for the future.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
They are considering asking orgs to make players stay in their age groups for showcases. I am not sure how they can control TB at all, but I guess TB loses its selling point if not matched up with coaches' wants.

In the majority of the country finding a full team of the exact same age, grad year, interest etc would be a challenge. Too many variables to control.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The problem with limiting tournaments to 18U is that many teams, including the one my dd played on have players that are 14 and 16U on them. My dd started playing in the fall exposure tournament here in St. Louis when she was 14 against 18U competition.

A fairly common trait found with elite level players.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Lots of good discussion. I don't think they should eliminate fall tournaments. Fall tournaments often provide a nice way for seniors who haven't yet signed to get picked up. That said, I could see limiting fall tournaments to 18U only. I don't see the point of showcasing a 14 year old in the fall of her freshman year.

While that sounds good in theory, these showcases are not being run as a service to D1 coaches. They are money makers and more teams = more money. Most of the discussion was applicable to D1 only. However, the vast majority of players never play D1.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Count up how many teams go to Diamond 9 x the entry fee. They would all play 5-7 days in a row if more teams would agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1