Too early to worry?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2021
My DD is an 8u player on one of the best A class teams in our area. Playing time has never been a major concern for her as she does a lot of side work and keeps improving drastically which keeps her on the field

My concern is that the development of the team as a whole (and even some girls) seems to have hit a plateau. Assistant coaches and some other parents also have the same concern. Practices are getting stale. I can pretty much tell you what they’re going to do every practice before i even get there. Down to the minute. DD doesnt want to leave the team that shes played with for the past 2 seasons, and neither do i because i think they have a bright future ahead of them as a team, although she has asked if she can play for other organizations (not sure she fully understands how it all works sometimes). But something has to change

I am contemplating on bringing her to a few other high level organizations tryouts this fall but have no intention on leaving her current team. My thought is to bring her to these tryouts to get more eyes on her just incase nothing changes with the current team

So my question is this…
I know theyre only 8, but is it too early for me to be concerned with the lack of development on the current team and getting her name out to other organizations?

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
My DD is an 8u player on one of the best A class teams in our area. Playing time has never been a major concern for her as she does a lot of side work and keeps improving drastically which keeps her on the field

My concern is that the development of the team as a whole (and even some girls) seems to have hit a plateau. Assistant coaches and some other parents also have the same concern. Practices are getting stale. I can pretty much tell you what they’re going to do every practice before i even get there. Down to the minute. DD doesnt want to leave the team that shes played with for the past 2 seasons, and neither do i because i think they have a bright future ahead of them as a team, although she has asked if she can play for other organizations (not sure she fully understands how it all works sometimes). But something has to change

I am contemplating on bringing her to a few other high level organizations tryouts this fall but have no intention on leaving her current team. My thought is to bring her to these tryouts to get more eyes on her just incase nothing changes with the current team

So my question is this…
I know theyre only 8, but is it too early for me to be concerned with the lack of development on the current team and getting her name out to other organizations?
They are 8yr olds…….I am pretty sure Oklahoma or UCLA a won’t be at the next tournament.

Jun 20, 2015
it's really not that hard as a coach to change things up, expand on a drill, etc, to make it fun and keep practice interesting. Remember that 8 yr olds will not have near the attention span nor skills of older players.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

So my question is this…
Don’t worry about them as a team. They are 8 and younger. within 2 years 4 of them will quit for soccer. 2 will just quit and another 4 will be on other teams. In 4 years 2 more will just quit the game all together and the remaining 4 will be on 4 different teams. Sad update one of the 8 who don’t play softball may include your dd.

don’t stress about the team development. Put your dd in the best situation for her to learn and have fun.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

So my question is this…

Just go to her coach and say "Hey, I am hearing from my daughter that practice is getting boring because they keep doing the same thing every practice. Any chance we can change things up?". Or even better, have one of the other parents or assistant coaches (who are supposed to be supporting the head coach instead of talking behind the Head Coaches back).

So yes it is too early to be shopping her around, or 'getting her name out' (if she is actually good they already know who she is). Going to other tryouts 'just to be there' is going to create drama if you stay. Softball is a small gossipy world. If you want to see if the grass is greener (and this is your excuse to do so), just go.

Being part of the parent group undermining and second guessing the head coach at every turn... that situation gets toxic quickly.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
So this is the OPs first post, and it is about concerns that his 8U daughter's team has plateaued? I have two answers...

1. Assuming this is a trollish insincere post, nicely done
2. Assuming this is a legit post, my friend if this is how you handle 8U, best of luck to you down the road. But if you are truly concerned about this, volunteer to be an AC. That way you can directly influence practice and help with the development of the whole team. Also, if she's been on this 8U team for 2 years already, I assume she is ready to age up?

...but my money is on #1.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So this is the OPs first post, and it is about concerns that his 8U daughter's team has plateaued? I have two answers...

2. Assuming this is a legit post, my friend if this is how you handle 8U, best of luck to you down the road. But if you are truly concerned about this, volunteer to be an AC. That way you can directly influence practice and help with the development of the whole team. Also, if she's been on this 8U team for 2 years already, I assume she is ready to age up?

My money is on #2 because I see this pretty much this scenario on about 1/2 the 8u teams locally.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

My initial thoughts right here. LOL! This can't be real...or is it? At 8U those girls don't even know if they are wearing clean underwear. Their biggest concern is what is for dessert and did I earn screen time today?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802