New 2020 Pitching Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Is the bolded part the case? That's what I understood.

My *only* hesitation is that my DD works on the start back and then in a tournament is told she can't. We play some pretty low-level, country bumpkin tournaments where umpires and tournament directors seem to have their own set of rules. We're now playing more USSSA tournaments than before, but many we play are still under their own set of rules that don't get updated much.

There's nothing you can do about umpires who don't know the rules. It's no different than having someone behind the plate that has no clue where the strike zone is. And there's nothing worse than an umpire on a power trip. All you can do is get in touch with the tournament UIC before the event and make sure he's informed his people. I'd also recommend you have a pre-game discussion with them at homeplate, during coin flip? Just to make sure they know the deal. This way it's done quietly and not in a disrespectful way to them during the game, which just leads to more problems. I'd like to think that after all this hype and discussion that EVERYONE will know the pitching rule has changed, but I'm still seeing people post questions like "Did I hear the pitching rules are changing?" Then commenting on videos saying "why isn't her back foot on the rubber???" It's maddening. 90% reading this probably follow softball 12 months a year yet someone who only picks it up from March-July is going to wonder what the heck is going on. lol.

Bill

Aug 21, 2008
DD has played in many of these non-sanctioned tournaments as well. It's been my experience that they generally adopt the ASA/USA rule book. However, if the local tournament director or UIC is still toting a 2018 (or earlier) rule book, all bets are off.

Most organizations will say something in their rules like: We follow the ASA rulebook, with these exceptions: then they list them. It can be pitching rules, it can be double base at 1st, which bat list they are using, etc.
Bill

Oct 4, 2018
There's nothing you can do about umpires who don't know the rules. It's no different than having someone behind the plate that has no clue where the strike zone is. And there's nothing worse than an umpire on a power trip. All you can do is get in touch with the tournament UIC before the event and make sure he's informed his people. I'd also recommend you have a pre-game discussion with them at homeplate, during coin flip? Just to make sure they know the deal. This way it's done quietly and not in a disrespectful way to them during the game, which just leads to more problems. I'd like to think that after all this hype and discussion that EVERYONE will know the pitching rule has changed, but I'm still seeing people post questions like "Did I hear the pitching rules are changing?" Then commenting on videos saying "why isn't her back foot on the rubber???" It's maddening. 90% reading this probably follow softball 12 months a year yet someone who only picks it up from March-July is going to wonder what the heck is going on. lol.

Bill

Agreed.

I'm not her coach this year, so will have to ask the coach to ask the questions. I've already informed him of the new rule and our desire to take advantage of this rule change. It shouldn't be a problem but will be in the back of my mind at first.

Heck, I even told all the parents (in our group chat) with a "If you see Little Sally with one foot off the rubber, it's a new rule for 2020". More because I hate being in the stands with parents screaming at umps about rules they aren't aware of. But also to help them understand the game. I can guarantee even after telling them we'll have some "that girl is cheating!" crap from our parents.

Oct 4, 2018
Well I didn't give them enough credit. In one of the organizations we play in they already have their 2020 rule book online and I see:

Section 1 – Pitching

- Prior to the pitch being delivered

- The pitcher shall have the ball in her possession.

- The pitcher shall take a signal or appear to have taken a signal while on the pitching rubber with her hands separated.

- The pitcher’s pivot foot shall maintain contact with the pitcher’s plate until the forward step. Note: a pitcher may now take a step back with the non-pivot foot from the plate prior, during, or after the hands are brought together.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Well I didn't give them enough credit. In one of the organizations we play in they already have their 2020 rule book online and I see:

Section 1 – Pitching

- Prior to the pitch being delivered

- The pitcher shall have the ball in her possession.

- The pitcher shall take a signal or appear to have taken a signal while on the pitching rubber with her hands separated.

- The pitcher’s pivot foot shall maintain contact with the pitcher’s plate until the forward step. Note: a pitcher may now take a step back with the non-pivot foot from the plate prior, during, or after the hands are brought together.
Well, not so fast. What you provided only discusses the "step back" from the pitcher's plate. What about the "start back" where the pitcher is no longer required to have her non-pivot foot in contact with the plate while taking the signal? That's what virtually all sanctions, including NCAA, now allow.

In fact, no sanction that I've read about allows the pitcher to step back only when she starts with her non-pivot foot in contact with the plate. They all allow a "step further back" from a start back position as well.

Yeah, you probably won't see too many pitchers do the "start back then step further back" motion. The vast majority will either start from the plate and then step back, or start behind the plate and then step forward. But the "start back then step further back" is allowed by rule.

Aug 21, 2008
CHS, I am so confused by what you wrote. Are you suggesting the feet have to be touching the rubber when taking the sign?

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
CHS, I am so confused by what you wrote. Are you suggesting the feet have to be touching the rubber when taking the sign?
Well in college ball, yes.

Other sanctions allow the pitcher to take the sign off the plate, but then the pitcher has to engage the plate and take or appear to take the sign with the hands separated. She can't just engage the plate and then immediately bring the hands together, which is what I see happening everywhere from 8U Rec to 18 Gold Nationals, as well as in high school play.

Aug 21, 2008

Other sanctions allow the pitcher to take the sign off the plate, but then the pitcher has to engage the plate and take or appear to take the sign with the hands separated. She can't just engage the plate and then immediately bring the hands together, which is what I see happening everywhere from 8U Rec to 18 Gold Nationals, as well as in high school play.

I think you're wrong about the feet needing to be touching the rubber in college. Only 1 foot needs to be touching, hence the start back rule. Both FEET do not.

Jul 14, 2018

DD does this now -- takes the sign in the back of the circle, checks her wristband, and then steps to the rubber and begins her delivery. It's one thing that I'm a little nervous about with the new rules -- she pauses for a beat when she brings her hands together but not a full second as I believe I've read in the new rules. Hopefully umpires will be busy looking at her feet!

Aug 21, 2008
DD does this now -- takes the sign in the back of the circle, checks her wristband, and then steps to the rubber and begins her delivery. It's one thing that I'm a little nervous about with the new rules -- she pauses for a beat when she brings her hands together but not a full second as I believe I've read in the new rules. Hopefully umpires will be busy looking at her feet!

My understanding is they have to be ON THE RUBBER when taking the sign in college. This is partially why the wristband thing is a bit of a grey area. Some pitchers get the sign from the dugout along with the catcher, then just walk up and pitch (this can lead to 'quickpitching' which is why the pause is required). Others wait for the catcher to get the sign then it's relayed to the pitcher. Am I wrong on that? I thought they had to be on the rubber when taking the sign or appearing to take the sign. NCAA only.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13