New 2020 Pitching Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Interesting ... I didn’t know State associations had options like that. I found the MIAA handbook online though, and you are correct.
It’s my understanding that Florida also does not allow pitchers to step back. They used the previous USA and NCAA rule that required the pitcher to keep both feet on the plate and only stride forward upon delivery. It will be interesting to see if they change their tune and comply with the NFHS rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
I know there is the “suggested for adoption” stuff (run rules, speed up rules, etc.) but I didn’t realize state associations could change essential game rules like that. Learn something new every day!

Guess we need to start adding that caveat now, too! Make sure you know what code you are playing under and what state you are in!

Aug 20, 2017
I’ve got high school pitchers that are hesitant to use the step back NFHS method due to pitching travel ball. When we do 2 step drills their velocity goes up 2-3 mph

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I have posted tidbits with direct citations on USA and NFHS, but I am working on a comprehensive article. Had to slow down a bit due to some personal demands for my time ... hope to have it ready over the weekend.
This is what I came up to use at our umpire training coming shortly.

NCAA

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Wednesday approved changes to the components of the pitching position and the procedure for pitchers to take signals before releasing a pitch for the 2020 season.

Since many pitchers receive the information on which pitch to throw by looking at a signal armband, the NCAA Softball Rules Committee felt pitchers were stepping onto the pitcher’s plate and starting their pitching motion without pausing, creating a distinct advantage over the batter.

Pitchers must follow these protocols beginning in the 2020 season:

The pitcher is in the pitching position when she has her hands apart, her pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate, both feet on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate and her hips in line with first and third bases, and the catcher is in position to receive the pitch.

While the pitcher takes the signal, her stride foot may be on or behind the pitcher’s plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she cannot move it to increase the distance behind the pitcher’s plate. In addition, the pitcher must take or appear to take a signal while in the pitching and signal-taking positions. (See below for wording that will actually be in the updated rule book)

10.1.1 and 10.2.1

10.1.1 – The pitcher is considered to be in the pitching position when she has her hands apart, her pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate, both feet on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate, the hips in line with first and third bases, she steps forward, puts both feet on the pitcher’s plate, and the catcher is in position to receive the pitch.

10.2.1.1 – Both feet must be on the ground in contact with the pitcher’s plate. Any part of each foot in contact with the ground or pitcher’s plate must be completely within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate. The stride foot may be on or behind the pitcher’s plate as far back as desired. Once the pitcher initially sets the toe of her stride foot, she may not step back any farther to increase the distance behind the pitcher’s plate.
Rationale: To allow the pitcher to begin with her stride (non-pivot) foot behind the pitcher’s plate as far back as desired. It is very difficult for an umpire to see if a pitcher’s stride foot is actually in contact with the pitcher’s plate, and there is no advantage to establishing the stride foot behind the pitcher’s plate as long as the pitcher is not allowed to step farther back during the start of the pitch. This change will provide pitchers with greater balance and take into account their variances in sizes and strengths without creating any type of unfair advantage.

10.2.2 - While in the pitching position and taking the signal, the pitcher shall pause for a noticeable stop of at least two seconds to must take or simulate taking appear to take a signal. The signal need not come from the catcher.
Note: The rule does not preclude the pitcher from taking an earlier signal from someone who indicates the desired pitch and/or location nor the pitcher from referring to an arm band prior to complying with Rule 10.2.2.
Rationale: To require the pitcher to take a signal while on the pitcher’s plate. Requiring the pitcher to take the signal from the pitcher’s plate has two advantages: 1) It will ensure pitchers pause on the plate while receiving the signal, and 2) It will prevent pitchers from “walking through” the pitch. Quick pitching has become an issue because signals are being taken from behind the pitcher’s plate and the pitcher is stepping on the pitcher’s plate and pitching without pausing.

NFHS

6-1-1: Prior to starting the delivery (pitch), the pitcher shall take a position with the pivot foot in contact with the pitcher's plate.

Rationale: Clarifies that the pivot foot must be in contact with the pitcher’s plate, rather than on the top surface of the pitcher’s plate.

USA Softball

Rule 6A, Section 1C: Both feet must be on the ground within the 24-inch length of the pitcher’s plate. The shoulders shall be in line with first and third bases. The pitcher shall take a position with their pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate and their non-pivot foot in contact with or behind the pitcher’s plate.

Comment: Allows female pitchers to start with one or two feet on the pitcher’s plate. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to foot placement.

Rule 6A, Section 1E: The pitcher shall bring their hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing the ball. A backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together. The pivot foot must remain in contact with the pitcher’s plate at all times prior to the forward step.

Comment: Allows female pitchers to take a backward step from the pitcher’s plate, before, during or after the hands are brought together. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to stepping back from the pitcher’s plate.

Rule 6A, Section 11B&C, Rule 7, Section 5D: (Junior Olympic Fast Pitch Only) Eliminates the penalty of advancing a runner one base without liability to be put out from the effect of committing an illegal pitch.

Comment: In Junior Olympic Fast Pitch ONLY, when an illegal pitch is declared, the penalty is only a ball on the batter. We no longer advance runners in Junior Olympic Fast Pitch as part of the penalty.

USSSA (At this time, this has not been verified, this comes from a posting on a website, as soon as I can verify, I will update)

SUMMARY OF RULE CHANGES:

PITCHER'S FOOT PLACEMENT: this change eliminates the requirement that a pitcher must have part of her pivot foot (the right foot for a right-handed pitcher) on top of the pitcher's plate. The rule will now only require the pivot foot to be in contact with the plate.

It also allows the pitcher to start with the non-pivot ("stride") foot in contact with or behind the plate and allows the pitcher to step back with the non-pivot foot, provided the step-back begins prior to starting the pitch by separating the hands.

Comments:
"This change aligns our rule on pitcher's feet placement with the other major rule books in youth softball," said Jami Lobpries, National Director of Fastpitch. "With this revision, USSSA, USA Softball, and the National Federation of State High School Associations will have a unified pitching rule."

"This is a 'win-win' for all the stakeholders," according to Wisk. "Nobody who has been pitching legally under existing rules will have to change their pitching style unless they want to, but pitchers who want to pitch using styles legal in college and high school will also be compliant. Additionally, those who administer our events, such as directors and umpires should have less confusion to deal with due to this rule alignment.

ENHANCED PENALTY FOR A PITCHER DELIBERATELY DROPPING OR ROLLING A BALL DURING THE PITCH: this changes the penalty to a team warning for the first offense, and player restriction/coach ejection for subsequent offenses.

"With the reduction in the illegal pitch penalty made last year, an illegal pitch is no longer the appropriate penalty for this violation," said Don Briscoe, National Rules Coordinator.

NSA
Rule 6, Section 1(a): The pitcher shall take a position with both feet on the ground and one or both feet in contact with the pitching plate. The non-pivot foot may be on or behind the pitching plate as far back as desired, however, once the toe is set, no movement further backwards is allowed.

Rationale: Revises the Pitching Requirements

Rule 6, Section 1(b): Both feet must be on the ground and within the 24” pitching plate, hips aligned with first and third base, with the hands separated and the ball being held in either the glove or pitching hand.

Rationale: Revises the Pitching Requirements

Feb 25, 2018
I’ve got high school pitchers that are hesitant to use the step back NFHS method due to pitching travel ball. When we do 2 step drills their velocity goes up 2-3 mph

For 2020, they'll be able to step back in USA tournaments, too. Not sure about NSA and USSSA, but guessing they'll have the rule change, as well.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Anyone care to offer thoughts
on how much this will effect pitching results?
Will pitchers gain some advantage?
Some may, some wont?
What % will do the new footing?

Can recall years back the big issue was stopping crow hopping. Definetly took advantage away.
Noticed also....
Screenshot_2020-01-10-15-35-01-1.png

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Once people figure out how much this will help pitchers, 70mph will be the new 60. More people will be touching that number than ever before and a lot of pitching coaches will claim it's their own "good works" not the rule change that has made the difference. Sorry charlie, the speeds will be increasing for almost EVERYONE who uses this rule. It's called leverage and momentum.

I'm amazed by the logic that some people have about not wanting their pitchers to use this updated rule. Finally the pitching rules are brought into 2020, instead of being left behind in the 1950's. Yet, they will think nothing about grabbing the newest, hottest, most exciting bat on the market that will allow someone with just a mediocre swing to hit it 250'. You update your offense annually, why not your pitching? It's unthinkable for a kid to use even a 10 year old bat in today's game, yet they don't want to update their pitching mechanics?

Most high schools will have to fall in line with this, although there's only a handful that do not follow the NHFS rules. If high school wants to keep up the illusion that players get recruited from high school to college, they will have to adopt the same rules. This is a good portion of the reason why ASA, USSSA and PGF all followed the NCAA. And I wouldn't be surprised if colleges aren't as enthusiastic about a pitcher who wants to keep both feet on the rubber vs. one who doesn't. For the same reasons colleges would almost never recruit someone who didn't play Travel ball, using the same pitching rules as they'd see in college. The comparison needs to be apples to apples, not apples to bowling balls.

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad