New 2020 Pitching Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Thanks Bill. Follow up question. Out of curiosity, as a former college coach, if you were looking for a pitcher in a PGF tournament for example, and they were stepping back, would that affect your evaluation of them and cause you to take a pass? Or would the conversion to staying back once they got to college be of minimal concern to you?

FOR THE MOST PART, I think it'd be of minimal concern. While I'd prefer to see her in the college delivery, I don't think the "step back" and the "start back" are apples and oranges. They're very similar. If she's a talented and smart kid, she'll be able to make that adjustment quickly enough. Much quicker than the initial change of going from both feet in contact to only 1 foot.

Bill

Mar 28, 2014
FOR THE MOST PART, I think it'd be of minimal concern. While I'd prefer to see her in the college delivery, I don't think the "step back" and the "start back" are apples and oranges. They're very similar. If she's a talented and smart kid, she'll be able to make that adjustment quickly enough. Much quicker than the initial change of going from both feet in contact to only 1 foot.

Bill
Lines up with what i was thinking. Lots of folks seem to think it's a huge difference but I'm guessing a step back pitcher would start back in generally the same location as she is currently stepping back into so the change would be minimally impactful to her. Thanks Bill.

Mar 13, 2010
I need someone a lot smarter than I to explain to me why they can't all get on the same page and make the pitching rules universal.

coming here to ask that. Why don’t they just use international rules? Then everyone’s on the same page.

May 29, 2015
coming here to ask that. Why don’t they just use international rules? Then everyone’s on the same page.

Because if everybody used the same rules, businesses wouldn’t make money when they can’t sell their rule books, umpire gear, stamps of approval for equipment manufacturers to license, etc.

Oct 4, 2018
Thus far (three pitching sessions) my 10U DD isn't liking the step back or the start back. Which of course is fine.

Perhaps when her legs get longer. Or next Thursday. Who knows?

Jan 6, 2018
Thus far (three pitching sessions) my 10U DD isn't liking the step back or the start back. Which of course is fine.

Same with 14U DD. She's only comfortable with starting back about 2-3" (when she remembers) but she was already just a heel and toe touch anyway - never on top of the rubber unless the dirt is too soft. The nice thing is now when the dirt is too soft she can pitch from on top of the rubber and still have a good sprinter's stance...as it should be!

Mar 13, 2010
I pitch with stand back. It took a little bit to adjust but it’s so nice not having to check your foot.

it’s really a minor change and you can get comfortable

Oct 4, 2018
I pitch with stand back. It took a little bit to adjust but it’s so nice not having to check your foot.

it’s really a minor change and you can get comfortable

I'll certainly let her know to simply not worry much about her left foot, as it can be just about anywhere. She currently only has her toes on the rubber but I'll be sure she knows it doesn't have to touch. Perhaps it will end up in the ideal position as she's in the zone.

Every few games she gets so in the zone and just mows down the opposition, and gets faster/stronger as she goes. Next time she hits one of those grooves I'll check where the foot is. Like any semi-smart parent, I pretty much keep my mouth shut when she's in the zone.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Or next thursday hahaha..

Muscle memory makes things become comfortable.
Because we get used to it.
(Changing it feels odd, signals to the brain, this is odd)

Changing what muscles are doing is uncomfortable at first.
Think of the way we sit daily.
Change that and feel the experience.
Like cross your legs different....
*Perhaps this may be the case.

Mental things also posibilty. That has to do with change...and understanding why to or not.

Comfort zones

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse