New 2020 Pitching Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
I'm sure things will continue to change, but I understand that USSSA is now in line with USA and NFHS and will allow the start back and step back. I don't track all the other alphabets like NSA, USFA, PGF, LL, Dixie, Babe Ruth, and all the other ones out there. But it would not surprise me if they follow suit since USA and now USSSA made the change to align with high school ball.

And, at least for now, NCAA is only allowing the start back.

May 29, 2015
Does anyone have a definitive list of pitching rules by sanctioning body? its a little confusing depending on who you are reading/listening to

Example:
PGF - Step Back
USA - Start Back
USSSA - Start Back
Etc.

thanks!!

I have posted tidbits with direct citations on USA and NFHS, but I am working on a comprehensive article. Had to slow down a bit due to some personal demands for my time ... hope to have it ready over the weekend.

Feb 25, 2018
This is all I've found on it for the NFHS.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191222-113255_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191222-113255_Chrome.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 52
Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
This is all I've found on it for the NFHS.

That’s all there is. The only pitching rule change in NFHS is that the pitcher no longer had to place her pivot foot on top of the plate. All she has to do now is make contact. They didn’t change anything in terms of the non-pivot/stride foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25, 2018
Thanks!

So, at least for 2020, high school pitchers can't take a step back in their high school games governed by NFHS rules, but could step back in USA governed tourney games.

Feb 25, 2018
@BlaineAB — Incorrect. You aren’t finding it because NFHS already allowed the step back (it is not a change).

View attachment 15868

I forgot that Massachusetts did not adopt that rule; here pitchers still need to keep contact with the rubber with the stride foot.

Hope they change it for 2021. Window for changed for 2020 has already closed, which seems odd with three months of winter ahead of us!

May 29, 2015
I forgot that Massachusetts did not adopt that rule; here pitchers still need to keep contact with the rubber with the stride foot.

Hope they change it for 2021. Window for changed for 2020 has already closed, which seems odd with three months of winter ahead of us!

Interesting ... I didn’t know State associations had options like that. I found the MIAA handbook online though, and you are correct. MIAA still requires both feet in contact and the pivot foot to be on top of the plate. They also don’t allow no-pitch intentional walks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00