Negative attack angle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
As others have said rear elbow - in theory, the hands and elbow should pass the rear hip at the same time.

Also - IMO the front elbow should point up more at and after contact. But, I think that goes hand in hand with fixing the rear elbow.

Oct 2, 2017
Looks like the barrel is lagging behind the hands to much. That’s what happens with the hands coming forward or sliding. The barrel can never past the hands, as this picture shows complete finish of the body, and the barrel is still lagging behind the hands.

Or, it’s just a picture. lol.
look at post #2. The hands aren't sliding anywhere. They simply glued in place and the rear elbow never slots.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Probably the grip which doesn’t look bad.

Has she been given some instruction about “turning the box” or “turning the triangle” because it looks like is trying to do that to an extreme. Maybe try and have her setup with a lower elbow and see how that works out (and how she feels with it)

That’s a better guess then mine.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Rear elbow is not being allowed to slot. Its basically chicken winging. Maybe she is being instructed to do that, to maintain elbow spacing or in order to prevent elbow drag.

look at post #2. The hands aren't sliding anywhere. They simply glued in place and the rear elbow never slots.

Yes, but she moving the valve forward as she tries to TTB. Get it?

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, but she moving the valve forward as she tries to TTB. Get it?
@Shawn - I don't agree, but whatever you say, LOL. I'm not here to debate on this persons thread that was searching for help.

@JaySpeediii - it is in my opinion only, that if you allow the rear elbow to work and not restrict it by locking it in place then things will move in the right direction. To possibly gain this feeling, I would do a shaft to shoulder drill. Place the bat shaft on the outside of the shoulder with the elbow already down and take some swing. Then move to full swings.

Oct 19, 2017
Probably the grip which doesn’t look bad.

Has she been given some instruction about “turning the box” or “turning the triangle” because it looks like is trying to do that to an extreme. Maybe try and have her setup with a lower elbow and see how that works out (and how she feels with it)
Yes, she had severe bat drag and this has helped her a lot. I had her try the lower elbow yesterday but we need more work.

Jun 8, 2016
Ok, I remember her now from the other thread. Honestly the front toss swing looks decent for a 9YO(?) How does she hit in games? Maybe a bit more "intent to do damage" will help..It is a long road, save some instruction for when they are old enough to give you dirty looks when you try to help :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Thank you.

By the way, here is her swing during front toss. Not great but also not hitting the ball straight down. I also have some video from behind showing the elbow action. I’ll try and post that later today.

Looks better than tee swing! Attack angle is basically launch angle. Easiest way to increase it is to get more tilt. Get her head to work backwards at launch. Her head will not go backwards but it will allow the feel of more tilt.

The tee swing looks like she delays the release of the barrel. Good for outside pitches. Not good for inside pitches. I need to go back and check her time to contact

What is her time to contact? It’s not on that vid

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414