Need some encouragment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
I'll try to make a long story slightly shorter...

Last year... DD starts for the Middle School 'B' team (read: JV) pitching. She didn't last two innings... hit ~6-8 batters before finally getting pulled. Didn't play much after that. Hit at least one batter (usually more) every time she played. Probably pitched a total of 5-6 innings all season.

Over the summer something "clicked". She started getting more accurate. More work over the winter helped. She's not fast, but hits the spots.

Monday night, opening game (B team). She pitches 4 innings... 8K, 2BB, 0HBP, 2H. Tuesday night... 4 2/3 innings... 8K's, 0BB, 2HBP. Proud Papa, right?

Wednesday night, no games. Games scheduled for tonight, Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday (and travel ball practice Sunday). Wife just called me, school nurse called her because DD did something to her wrist playing volleyball in gym class and it's swelling. Wife is taking her for X-Rays 'just in case'. Of course, it's her pitching wrist.:mad:

So here's hoping it's just a strain or a pull.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
Hope it's not major and she recovers quickly.

I have to cross my fingers for the next 3 weeks as 3-4 of my players play rec soccer. Unfortunately that means 5th & 6th grade boys and girls playing on the same field. I tell my daughter and the other girls to stay away from the boys.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Not exactly encourgement but DD got hit in the head with a chunk of ice in January. got a concussion. may miss the entire spring season.
She's already been out 9 weeks (Miised half of Hockey and Indoor softball seasons). she won't be playing Softball in college, so she only has a few seasons left and she's maybe missing this one.

No matter what the injury is with your DD. let her heal, don't rush back too early. She has a long career ahead, this is just a bump on the road.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Hey! I hope that her injury is minor. I guess that she could have done that walking across the floor, though.

If she is put on rest, I would ask the doctor specifically what she can do. Run, bike, swim? Sit ups, etc.?

She should have many years of softball ahead of her. Don't let her see your disappointment. Let us know what happens.

Apr 13, 2010
I worry about this stuff happening. You can't wrap them in bubble wrap.

In fact one day my DD reached into the trunk to grab her water bottle when I was shutting it. We were getting ready to leave, I have no idea why she did that. The trunk shut on her pitching hand. I freaked. Fortunately for both of us her fingers are so tiny that nothing happened really. Didn't even have to go to the doctor.

Now you have this weird Dad who says "CLEAR" in a loud voice before he shuts the trunk.

Jul 21, 2009
The kid is tough. During a tournament last year, while batting, she got a fastball right in the forearm. Officials stopped the game for 5 minutes and she went to first aid to get ice on it (we didn't have any subs). She came back and finished the at bat. All she could do was try and bunt.

Wife & DD are still in the waiting room, but we're joking via text so her spirits are up.

Thanks for the kind wishes

Jul 21, 2009
Just a sprain. No softball through Saturday. Use splint through weekend. Depending on pain/mobility, can start throwing Sunday.

Apr 1, 2010
Hope it's not major and she recovers quickly.

I have to cross my fingers for the next 3 weeks as 3-4 of my players play rec soccer. Unfortunately that means 5th & 6th grade boys and girls playing on the same field. I tell my daughter and the other girls to stay away from the boys.

Seriously? Our local rec program splits the boys and girls apart after pony soccer, i.e. once they are 6 years old, they don't play together anymore. I've been watching various soccer games from the sidelines for years now. I've seen the way pre-teen boys play and IMO your rec league is insane! It's probably another lawsuit waiting to happen.

In this area, girls are allowed to sign up for and play on co-ed (read, boys) competitive teams, but those are the real soccer studs who do so knowing what they're getting into.

Forgot to say, great news, SamG! :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32