The Girls of Summer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
For the most part the college girls don't have any real opportunities to get in quality game type reps. Yes @RADcatcher players will workout on their own or small groups, but they aren't getting to play the actual game. Last night DD participated in a scrimmage with other college players along with real paid umpires who are home for the summer. The atmosphere was really cool. There were 3 teams. 2 Teams with players from Houston area, with a 3rd team from the College Station area but still had some Houston players on it. Houston1 plays CSTAT in first game and Houston2 plays CSTAT in 2nd game. They played at a local JUCO field and the stands were filled with parents, aunts, uncles, friends, brothers, sisters, local 10U players, college coaches, etc. I wouldn't say it was electric but it was chill. I was able to catch up with parents from DD's team from 4 years ago, which was really nice. Their DD's are going to take a 5th year at their schools, so I will get to follow them one last year. It was a reunion for many folks in the stands. Most of the parents would never see each other since their kids play in different conferences.

DD actually fought me on this for 2 weeks. She did NOT want to do this. She was making every excuse in order to NOT play. She revealed to me that she didn't want to make a fool of herself. I told her this is to get reps, and every single one of those girls are in the same boat. None of them are at the peak in season performance. When she saw the list of players that worried her more. I had to talk with her and remind her who she is and basically show her a picture of herself to reintroduce herself to herself...if that makes sense. We were able to get a hitting session in on Monday along with some catching work. Wasn't pretty, but it was work.

Game gets going and Janae Jefferson hits a LC gapper to the bottom of the fence against a 6'2" girl that is at a D1 in Louisiana. DD is catching Kelly Maxwell (OSU) which for me was a thrill. She called the pitches and was very succesful. Kelly was crisp and was hitting her spots. DD ended up batting last and gets on base with a shot to 3B that was bobbled. Janae gets up and hits a bomb over the fence. How cool is that? DD getting scores off a HR from an All American. Janae went 3 for 3. 2 doubles and bomb. She was in tip top shape. DD gets up again and D3K against a D1 player playing in the NE. Southland Conference Hitter of Year hit a ball so hard to the fence. I swear it didn't go higer than 10' off the ground. Lots of great players from every division getting some playing time.

We hung around to watch 3 innings of the 2nd game so we could support one of the pitchers as I am great friends with her dad. When she was pitching he still gets nervous and antsy. I will never know what it's like to be a pitcher's dad, but I'm almost there as a catcher's dad. Got to see an outstanding pitcher that played for UH last year. Saw lots of K's in both games. Pitchers looked pretty good, batters not as good. But dang, they haven't seen live pitching since April and May.

We get in the truck and DD says "You were right and that's all I'm gonna give you." She had a good time, which makes my heart smile. This is her game and I love watching her play. We finished the night at 5 Guys with burgers, fries and a Peanut Butter shake.

Attachments

• summer team pic.jpg
    summer team pic.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 95
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
That is an awesome experience! I can definitely understand your DD's hesitancy to want to go, but great on you for making her do it. Definitely seems like it was the right decision. And to cap it off with 5 Guys and a shake.....that's a winning day no matter what the scores were.

Feb 24, 2021
Even after all the games you have seen her play I bet that this will be one of the favorite memories that you both share! That's so awesome that you were able to get all of those top notch players together! Says a lot about your DD and her skill set as well to be in a game with them! Great for you both!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Even after all the games you have seen her play I bet that this will be one of the favorite memories that you both share! That's so awesome that you were able to get all of those top notch players together! Says a lot about your DD and her skill set as well to be in a game with them! Great for you both!
Yes it was cool. She has always played on and against high caliber teams with big time players during her TB days. Once they hit college, they split up into their divisions and conferences. I am hearing other parents saying the same thing I have said. It was therapeutic for all. Also, no coaches yelling at them, no pressure, just play.

Oct 26, 2019
I never really thought about it, but are college summer softball leagues a thing? I played every summer in a collegiate baseball league, but I guess that’s not a thing in softball?

Either way, I’m glad it was a great experience for your DD. I learned more baseball playing in those summer leagues than at any other time in my career. Glad she got to experience some of that.

Aug 25, 2019
Around here we have a college summer league, 9 teams, they play doubleheaders. I think about 12-14 games total

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Looks like fun. My DD’s former TB teammate says her new collage coach has a u23 team that a lot of his players play on in off time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 26, 2019
I never really thought about it, but are college summer softball leagues a thing? I played every summer in a collegiate baseball league, but I guess that’s not a thing in softball?

Either way, I’m glad it was a great experience for your DD. I learned more baseball playing in those summer leagues than at any other time in my career. Glad she got to experience some of that.
In my area there is a women's fastpitch league. A coworker of mine, who played D2 ball, played the season before Corona Virus came about.

I kind of bothered her about it until she agreed to play. She missed playing but wasn't sure she'd enjoy it. She ended up loving it. The teams were a mix of former college players from D1 to JUCO as well as a few graduated high school seniors and current college players.

There are summer leagues. I just don't know how widespread they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802