Need help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Everyone is on-target.

For the brush resistance, have her wear a loose fitting t-shirt. Have her concentrate on moving her upper body to the arm (not arm to the upper body). She should feel her arm brush the t-shirt.

She needs to do this drill about a million times:

Loose shirt! DD was learning the curve a few years ago and threw a great one. I yelled do that every time. She said that would hurt, my finger got hung in my shirt.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I want to see her drive. Im going to bet her "monkey butt" is a result of prematurely opening off the rubber. This caused her drive foot to land at a 90 degree angle, and the body collapses as a result of her inability to properly resist. This collapse as well as the slight glove swim is why she misses forearm brush, and is hinged forward.

Imagine trash that has collected at the base of a river...
Option A.... clean up the trash at the base of the river downstream, its better, but more and more trash keeps coming.... repeat, repeat, and repeat
Option B... Go upstream and find out the source of all this trash. Stop the dumping, then there's no more trash needed to be picked up...

Point here is, her mechanical flaws have originated earlier in the pitch, most likely the drive. Lets find the source, so everything else downstream is cleaner

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
Everyone is on-target.

For the brush resistance, have her wear a loose fitting t-shirt. Have her concentrate on moving her upper body to the arm (not arm to the upper body). She should feel her arm brush the t-shirt.

She needs to do this drill about a million times:

That’s a great depiction. Have seen it in the past. Really cool. I know when my dd is doing it correct. When you see that elbow pop out. Hers pops nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2017
Been working hard on better IR, elbow leading, brush, and changed some premotion stuff. Need help getting better drive! We’ve done zombies and two steps. How can I get the stride knee to reach more? I think this would help her get open and stay open longer.

Nov 8, 2018
Been working hard on better IR, elbow leading, brush, and changed some premotion stuff. Need help getting better drive! We’ve done zombies and two steps. How can I get the stride knee to reach more? I think this would help her get open and stay open longer.

Drive looks fine. She is just landing early. Nothing wrong with that.

Nov 8, 2018

I would suggest trying to get her to lean back more after drive. She is leaning forward too long. Slight monkey butt but Brush looks ok.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sorry, but I'd disagree that her drive is fine. Toes don't detatch off the rubber untill approx 11-12 and her heel pivots completely around her toes. Weak drive, premature opening, lands completely open, and the resistance breaks down as a result...
Keys to improve upon....
1. The heel to come over the toes, not around them!
2. I want the toes to detatch off the rubber in a forward movement as the ball reaches 3:00
3. The hips should be square to the catcher at 3:00, and approx 45 degrees at 12:00
4. Her joints should all align in a stacked manor... knee over ankle, hip over knee, shoulder over hip etc...
5. The body completely stabilizes and firms up from 9:00 into release.

Nov 8, 2018
Sorry, but I'd disagree that her drive is fine. Toes don't detatch off the rubber untill approx 11-12 and her heel pivots completely around her toes. Weak drive, premature opening, lands completely open, and the resistance breaks down as a result...
Keys to improve upon....
1. The heel to come over the toes, not around them!
2. I want the toes to detatch off the rubber in a forward movement as the ball reaches 3:00
3. The hips should be square to the catcher at 3:00, and approx 45 degrees at 12:00
4. Her joints should all align in a stacked manor... knee over ankle, hip over knee, shoulder over hip etc...
5. The body completely stabilizes and firms up from 9:00 into release.

Coach as far as my drive comment I more meant the power looks good. She seems to explode well but as you said, and I mentioned, she is short with her stride.

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry Dr but Coach James is right the point at which she detaches from the rubber and her front foot lands is almost the same time that means she is just taking a big step and not really driving.

I think one thing to focus on that might fix a lot of these issues is forcing her to stop twisting her drive foot at push off. She can do drills without the ball even...she if should look more like this look at number 4 versus the still I attached of her, position at three oclock. Fear not these issues are super common and while a little more than just a tweak this is doable. First she does need to do drills that reinforce the correct feel but when she figures that out a cue of STRAIGHT and TALL should help.

gooddrive2.pnglynzzie at 3 oclock.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
Sorry Dr but Coach James is right the point at which she detaches from the rubber and her front foot lands is almost the same time that means she is just taking a big step and not really driving.

I think one thing to focus on that might fix a lot of these issues is forcing her to stop twisting her drive foot at push off. She can do drills without the ball even...she if should look more like this look at number 4 versus the still I attached of her. Fear not these issues are super common and while a little more than just a tweak this is doable. First she does need to do drills that reinforce the correct feel but when she figures that out a cue of STRAIGHT and TALL should help.

View attachment 14600View attachment 14601

Yeah I didn’t see the side view video. Just the game , front view. Not sure how I missed that. Went back and reviewed it. Coach James is correct for sure. That’s why I’m called Dr and he’s called coach. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying