Need help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
I just began coaching this girl. Dad told me she has gone backwards in the last year. Was taught hello elbow growing up. Dad said she topped out at 55 last year, only hitting 53 now. Great girl, has totally lost confidence.

I see a lot of problems:
-arm straight on backside of circle
- shoulders closing to early
- week front side resistance
- drive mechanics not optimal
- misses brush
- release and finish not relaxed (she likes to pull her hand backwards after release)

We have been doing IR drills to feel brush and whip. Done a few zombie drills to work on more efficient drive.

What else do we need to work on? What verbal ques or feels do I need to reinforce to her consistently

Jan 28, 2017
Just a dad! Leans forward and monkey butt (posture). Glove swim, I don't worry about glove swim as much as most but when she works to open the glove never points to the catcher.

Aug 20, 2017
Just a dad! Leans forward and monkey butt (posture). Glove swim, I don't worry about glove swim as much as most but when she works to open the glove never points to the catcher.
Yeah I think the swim is causing the shoulders to fly open early. We have worked on adduction. Gonna film her tonight to see if we’ve made any improvement on that. Have used cracking walnut monkey butt cue and I think that has clicked in practice

Jan 28, 2017
Yeah I think the swim is causing the shoulders to fly open early. We have worked on adduction. Gonna film her tonight to see if we’ve made any improvement on that. Have used cracking walnut monkey butt cue and I think that has clicked in practice

My DD swims more than most would recommend but according to her PC she is perfect and then swims late and he would like to correct it but said it's not that big of a deal since she is good at release. She has never had a problem throwing strikes.

A few years back a clue that really helped my DD was simply to keep your head tall. Then big mamma #1 to big #2 (butt cheeks). LOL

How old is your student?

Sep 29, 2014
I do like the stand straight and tall cue to fix this ("monkey butt"), pics below. She does anchor the back foot and could use a better drive.

But the absolute number one issue for her to improve is the arm circle I can not find one point from the time she begins to move until release where her arm is not locked straight, this will limit her until she fixes this.

Lynzzie.pnglynzziemb.PNG

Aug 20, 2017
My DD swims more than most would recommend but according to her PC she is perfect and then swims late and he would like to correct it but said it's not that big of a deal since she is good at release. She has never had a problem throwing strikes.

A few years back a clue that really helped my DD was simply to keep your head tall. Then big mamma #1 to big #2 (butt cheeks). LOL

How old is your student?
Just turned 15, I’m her high school head coach.

Nov 8, 2018
At the end of the day she wants to be a HE pitcher. You can see it in her form. Trying to push and muscle the ball. My dd has been fighting the erg since we switched. It’s been a rough MENTAL change. Trusting the ball will go fast without giving it umph is tough I guess. After about 6 months or so she is starting to understand that relaxing is key. Whipping is key. Brush is key. That powering the ball will only slow her down. When you try to power IR it just doesn’t work. When she relaxes and throws it doesn’t even look like she is trying and gets the same speed as forcing. Difference is. More spin , better spot and less effort. Not to mention seems to trick batters via it looks like she will throw slow.
Work on her head space.
Throw into a net and work on relaxed mechanics.
Jmho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
At the end of the day she wants to be a HE pitcher. You can see it in her form. Trying to push and muscle the ball. My dd has been fighting the erg since we switched. It’s been a rough MENTAL change. Trusting the ball will go fast without giving it umph is tough I guess. After about 6 months or so she is starting to understand that relaxing is key. Whipping is key. Brush is key. That powering the ball will only slow her down. When you try to power IR it just doesn’t work. When she relaxes and throws it doesn’t even look like she is trying and gets the same speed as forcing. Difference is. More spin , better spot and less effort. Not to mention seems to trick batters via it looks like she will throw slow.
Work on her head space.
Throw into a net and work on relaxed mechanics.
Jmho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and there you have it. until the 6 inches between her ears believes she can be competent as an IR pitcher, she will be a HE pitcher. so, honesty upfront on your part, hey, it's going to be bad for awhile, and honesty upfront on her part, yes or no, I want to do the work to be an IR pitcher.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Everyone is on-target.

For the brush resistance, have her wear a loose fitting t-shirt. Have her concentrate on moving her upper body to the arm (not arm to the upper body). She should feel her arm brush the t-shirt.

She needs to do this drill about a million times: