My daughter is dreading high school ball approaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
It’s sad. She’s a 2021. Freshman year she was at a different (private) school and the team was more structured and well run. Last year she transferred into a public school and it’s a train wreck. The practices are basically a giant goof session. No real work. Especially if you aren’t the starting 9. Then you are on the side practicing pop ups or doing tee work. Only the starting 9 get the field and even then it’s a bunch of fooling around. The coach even stated last year she didn’t care about the girls attitudes as long as they can play, and it’s not a team full of players either. At least one kid that was TB (3B) walked away from TB last year. Not even sure if she’s coming out. Another one that was TB (1B) might have quit. I heard she didn’t play Fall Ball anywhere. The others that are left fool around. It’s tough on my kid because last year she tried so hard to fit in but the coach wouldn’t change her line up. It’s like she didn’t even give my daughter a chance to even compete for a spot. She’s serious about getting recruited and most of the ones playing couldn’t care less. Also last year my daughter was working through some swing issues. She was transitioning from a linear swing to that darned launch angle swing that most everyone hates. Her hitting coach told her to trust the process. That was last winter when he started that. He got my DD convinced to try it and she totally believes in it. So basically last Spring for high school and last summer for TB she wasn’t hitting well. So on the high school team, the combination of a terrible atmosphere and not hitting added up to her being miserable. She hung in there and kept cheering on her team. I was proud of that. Thankfully she did well on defense for her TB team so the summer wasn’t bad.

Now, her hitting is coming together. Something clicked and she got her swag back. It started coming together at the end of the Fall season. Right now In practice she is crushing it and her confidence is back. She’s got the swing down, and it shows. We aren’t sure who is returning to the school softball team. I’m encouraging her to go to the tryouts and check it out. She still isn’t thrilled about it. I told her to show them she can hit, last year was a transition period/slump. The other girl who was playing ahead of her apparently isn’t returning (or so she says). She’s supposedly playing a different sport. So I told my daughter that should open up some room. She still says the overall vibe from some of the girls and the terrible practices don’t make her thrilled about it. She was going to talk to her prospective college coach about it, get his opinion. It’s not really the fact that she might not play, it’s the lack of real practice even if she doesn’t. Its like she’s just doing nothing. Off to the side hitting off a tee. That’s fine but you can only do that so much. It’s basically a waste of time. She’s wondering if she should pick up some rec ball before the summer TB starts. Her best friend plays on a rec team. She (her friend) won’t even consider the school team. She’s not that serious about it. Rec ball is fine for her. She doesn’t want to put up with the school team. Too unorganized and crazy for her. I have a feeling my daughter will end up going out for the team, but if she doesn’t she has to find something to keep in shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
It is sad when a program is in that state. In a conversation with another member here, I was just discussing our local HS program. It sounds just about the same. Unfortunately, we have the same coach for middle school and high school.

I had two daughters play for this coach in MS. By HS, one quit softball altogether (focused on volleyball, took up soccer). The other loved the game and toughed out four miserable years of HS ball. Well, almost four ... we had to forfeit 1/4th of a season because we didn’t have enough players one year.

It is sad to see players walk away from the game. Even worse to see them leave prematurely because of a bad situation that is out of their hands. Nonetheless, it is sometimes the right decision. (Not saying it is ... just saying be willing to accept that if it is.)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't really have any advice for you, but I do know that what you describe really is my biggest fear as a coach. If I had girls, presumably good players who enjoyed the game, quitting en masse, I'd stop coaching. But it also sounds like this coach doesn't care too much, which is just too bad.

Nov 18, 2013
You want her to talk to a potential college coach about how awful her HS ball experience is and they haven’t even had tryouts yet? Good luck with that.

Quit listening to the rumors and bitching of the other parents that thrive on the drama. Or at least don’t repeat it in front of your daughter.

Aug 25, 2019
If your DD serious about playing in college, play with a good travel team. You’ll get more exposure for college than high school games. If DD wants to play HS ball, just look at it as practice everyday. Plenty of girls play in college off of TB, never playing HS. Good luck

May 20, 2016
As said above wouldn't worry too much about it. DD played JV in 7th grade last year and was a starting pitcher/2nd base for the team. Really didn't learn a thing and wasn't impressed at all with the coaching or lack there of. To me HS ball is just about playing with her friend, kind of like rec. So i don't stress the lack of coaching in school. She'll get more out of 2 hours with her travel team than she will with a season of school ball.

Apr 28, 2014
DD claims that our HS practices are not productive. But she may be comparing it to her travel practices which are 100% full throttle. I told her that HS is not a place to learn the game, more a place to play for school spirit.
One question, what was your HS's record last season?

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
Have to agree with what others have already said. If the program is as poisonous as you say, let you daughter play rec with her friend and use that time to get some live work in and let her have a good time. Would be a great time to work on her new swing against a live arm. Good luck!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Darn this crappy scenario!!!

What area is this?

High School ball in so cal is almost irrelevant to continuing travel ball and showcasing to network into college.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom