My 9 Year old working on IR

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is my 9 year old dd working on her pitching tonight with an IR release. (Not sure in clip one what my batter in the uper right is working on?)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y3EDaiWnWwo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y3EDaiWnWwo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

May 7, 2008
Tucson
LH, if you were a female, you would know that the batter is working on baton. :)

Nice pitch. I would eliminate going so high over the head on the pre motion. My DD ruined her shoulder doing that. (Her shoulder was doing twice the work that it should have.)

And do you see her drag her foot totally on the side? She needs to drag on the toe.

But over all - very good.

Jul 14, 2008
Here is my 9 year old dd working on her pitching tonight with an IR release. (Not sure in clip one what my batter in the uper right is working on?)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y3EDaiWnWwo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y3EDaiWnWwo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

How friggen awesome is that Ilhowser..........Really cool.........What a great start she's off to at 9 years old..........

You should be a proud Dad...........

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I was hopin' you would get a look at her BM. She is off to an excellent start and seems to have a really good mind set for this.

Amy I am with you on both of those issues. Regarding that pre-motion and the back swing I am wanting her to quiet it just a bit. On the back swing I explain to her that reversing directions requires a lot of work so it has to be smooth and not too fast. I tell her it's like when i golf. When I am struggling and think I want to hit the ball super hard and I am frustrated I take the club back really fast...then I need to apply trememdous forces to reverse direction and the results aren't that good. For now at least I am not going to eliminate either part of the wind up but I am going to remind her that moving forward is the part that counts.

Drag foot is something I would like to see change. Probaby can eventually accomplish that will about 100,000 dry throws in front of the mirror w/o a ball. Perhaps might like to see stride foot point just ever so slightly at catcher. things we'll slowly work on.

Fun story...this past weekend went up against by far the the biggest 10U team she'll face in her 6 team indoor winter league (Packed with 11YO perfect birthday 10U 3 year returning lettermen). We planned on working outside, outside, outside. First inning against giant batters 2,3,4,5 mysteriously control went south :). Only...finally after she struck one out and we had a quick visit on the mound and I called her out on intentionally walking big kids did the control mysteriously return.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Thank you for sharing, she looks real good! Couple of questions 1) she slaps her right thigh with glove at the beginning of the motion, what's the the advantage of this?; 2) At what age did start pitching?; and c) how fast is her fastball and what other pitches does she throw?

May 13, 2008
lhowser, very nice. I just want to reiterate Amy's observation about the drag foot. The earlier you nip this in the bud the better. It is a hard habit to break. Eventually you'll want her to hide the ball in the glove, but that is a style choice that can come later.

Nov 18, 2009
I think it's obvious that the batter is working on being a 9 year old girl and doing a very good job of it.

My daughter is 10 and am having a tough time getting her to throw with IR. She still wants to flip the wrist up.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
1) she slaps her right thigh with glove at the beginning of the motion, what's the the advantage of this?
None that I know of. It was a change she made this year. She was a double pumper and one day she decided this helped her timing and opening.

At what age did start pitching
Realistically she started last winter (winter of 08) at the age of 8. She showed an interest and I decided priority #1 would be to not compromise on BoardMembers internal Rotation explaination that he actually introduced on an analysis of what was going wrong with my 14 year old.

how fast is her fastball and what other pitches does she throw?
Her fastball is probably 42 - 45. It was around 43 with some 44's and 45's consistent last time I clocked her a month ago and it seems a lot harder now. I don't trust my bushnell gun very much so I don't bother. I like to compare her instead to what I've seen at the age division.

She throws a realy nice flip change. I say nice because in practice she hits it about 70% of the time and in game close to that. From my experience that is pretty rare for this age as most wind up in the backstop fence way high at this age but we've found a pretty neat way of her visualizing to keep it down.

I just want to reiterate Amy's observation about the drag foot. The earlier you nip this in the bud the better. It is a hard habit to break.

Yes it is looking actually pretty rough. I think we will tackle this. I think it will be easier on the dirt when the weather breaks. Dirt is more forgiving than thin carpet glued to a hard surface.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd