12u pitcher transitioning to IR - seeking advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2014
After a year off, mu DD has decided to give pitching another go. This time she is committed to pitching the correct way. Last year she has a hard time letting go of HE. She got frustrated with the lack of performance. This year she only wants to pitch IR. She knows that it's the only way she can be a top level pitcher. I can already see a big difference in velocity. Now she has a tendency to throw the ball high and inside.

Here's a video from today of two pitches. I know they're far from perfect. Looking for advice on where to go next.

I see she needs more contact with her side. I mean more brush interference. I also see she has a tendency to get on top of the ball between 9 and 12 which is limiting her elbow bend.

I would like help prioritizing or drills that will help her. Thanks in advance.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ama50K2Ky_g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD is doing pretty well. IF the season is starting soon, you want to make sure she gets her BI (brush interference) down so she has good control. Whether you like it or not, the ability "just throw strikes" results in more innings.

This is the "drill of drills". She can't do enough of these.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r7o7MC1XX5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For brush interference, get her some baggy shorts. Tell her to make sure her arm hits the shorts every time through release. She should be able to feel and hear the contact.

For getting behind the ball at 12 and under the ball at 9, you tell her to focus on getting her hand behind the ball at 12. Tell her to pull the ball threw the circle.

Have her do walk throughs at 1/2 speed.

Also, "1/2 frames" would help...have her get open, raise the ball to 12, get the hand behind the ball and then throw.

Finally, work on accuracy...quadrants, quadrants, quadrants.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2016
She definitely gets on top of the ball at 9:00. Then tries to recover and gets the ball roughly facing 3rd base just prior to the release phase. My recommendation would be start with Boardmember's lock it in, then 9:00, liberty, etc from the IR in the classroom thread. Start with lock it in and don't move on to the next drill until she can perform each one correctly every time. This worked for my DD but it took months to accomplish all the way to the full pitch.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Mostly work with DD, so grain of salt here.

She will pitch into tarp or backstop not worring about location, we worry about location latter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619