My 12U DD missing away

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
To the OP, does she miss to the left side for all pitch locations including off the plate when going for outside corner to RH batter? I'm not quite following the logic of adjusting mechanics for consistently missing on the same side. You have to diagnose if its just a problem with aiming.

Aug 20, 2017
To the OP, does she miss to the left side for all pitch locations including off the plate when going for outside corner to RH batter? I'm not quite following the logic of adjusting mechanics for consistently missing on the same side. You have to diagnose if its just a problem with aiming.
Dont think it’s a problem with aiming. We aim it at a RH batters front hip or knee lol. Typically this changes her spin and will have tendency to miss high and in. When she aims done the middle she misses away from RH batter.

Aug 20, 2017
Tango and cornbread, my DD pronates late too, we had the luxury of having the team photographer at our game Friday night, and he took some great pics. One in particular confirmed my thoughts that she pronates to late, and I’m guessing she’s losing speed with this and lacks better control because of this..any PCs please tell me if I’m right on this. I’ll attach the photo of what I’m talking about. May be the same problem your DD is having. Before anyone points it out, I know her stride foot angle isn’t optimal, we’re working on that. View attachment 16676
I wish I could get this shot of my DD. This is certainly late pronation. Should be closer to index/middle/thumb pointing to catcher at this point if I’m not mistaken.

May 23, 2018

I would not change too much with respect to her pitching style. But I am quite curious, is this a clip for USA tournament ball, or is this rec league? The reason I bring this up is that she is pitching illegally. If this was USA sanctioned softball. Both feet have to be in contact with the pitching rubber pursuant to rule 6. Having said all that, she looks like she has pretty good mechanics. Her stride is long and she finishes erect, which you always like to see unless a drop is being thrown. It seems like your daughter has a natural tendency to turn the hand over, which for left-handed pitcher sails into a right-handed batter. Usually, this is not too bad except that she will lose one to 2 mph off of her fastball. Based on this 1 very short clip, it appears that her follow-through is going to her right hip, which would tend to impart movement to the right. Try to teach her, "middle finger to the umpire", so that her follow-through is throughout.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Mar 20, 2015
Aim is relative like sighting the scope on a rifle. If she aims middle and consistently hits outside then her mechanics could be perfect but her aim is not mentally calibrated.
If the inside pitch is different then without telling her check the consistency of her stride foot landing spot. It should be slightly (1 inch) right of a middle pitch for an inside pitch otherwise she has to adjust her mechanics in some other way which could cause the change in movement.
Anyways good luck she looks good.

Aug 20, 2017
I would not change too much with respect to her pitching style. But I am quite curious, is this a clip for USA tournament ball, or is this rec league? The reason I bring this up is that she is pitching illegally. If this was USA sanctioned softball. Both feet have to be in contact with the pitching rubber pursuant to rule 6. Having said all that, she looks like she has pretty good mechanics. Her stride is long and she finishes erect, which you always like to see unless a drop is being thrown. It seems like your daughter has a natural tendency to turn the hand over, which for left-handed pitcher sails into a right-handed batter. Usually, this is not too bad except that she will lose one to 2 mph off of her fastball. Based on this 1 very short clip, it appears that her follow-through is going to her right hip, which would tend to impart movement to the right. Try to teach her, "middle finger to the umpire", so that her follow-through is throughout.
USFA sanction, allows start back or step back

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Aim is relative like sighting the scope on a rifle. If she aims middle and consistently hits outside then her mechanics could be perfect but her aim is not mentally calibrated.
If the inside pitch is different then without telling her check the consistency of her stride foot landing spot. It should be slightly (1 inch) right of a middle pitch for an inside pitch otherwise she has to adjust her mechanics in some other way which could cause the change in movement.
Anyways good luck she looks good.
I am in no way a pitching coach.

However I recall Bill Hillhouse stating that missing up or down is a timing issue and left and right is a mechanics issue.

Jan 28, 2017
That was my initial thought. Could it be due to stride length that causes late pronation? In warm ups (mostly 12:00 drills and one step walk throughs) she throws it down the gut. It’s mostly when we go full pitching motion that the arm side miss occurs. Any ques for pronating on time without messing with the stride? Thanks for the feedback
I personally think her stride is fine. I think her posture is a little back and that throws your brush off. I’m assuming she is trying to get some brush. If she is changing to IR is hard to understand how your hand gets behind the ball. or has been taught a turnover drop sometimes it is habit to never get your fingers behind the ball and IR is confused with turnover drop. Posture. Trigger, fingers pointed at the ground, and released at mid thigh. Don’t let your shoulders spin past your hips. My DD loves the eye gate that Coach Pauly talks about and may help also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish