Metrics for determining piching volume progression throughout high school?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
We play as many as 6 games in a week. Depending on weather and make-up games due to rain.

I would say average is 3-4 per week.

Mar 28, 2014
I did have this conversation with TB coach before we signed-on. He understood and was fine with it. At 5’ 2” she gives her all on every pitch and wears down faster than a bigger girl would I believe.
No doubt that conversation should be had with TB coaches, as we are paying $$ and have options. But HS is different. The HS coach has a captive audience. Can't just pick up and go to the next HS team like you can in TB. From what I have heard the HS coaches know this so they are less inclined to listen to and agree to a parent's "requests". Their way or the highway is their attitude.

Feb 18, 2014
Not sure how HS works up there but here, it's pretty difficult to get overused since other than a few pre-season tournaments they only play one game a day and 2 games a week.
I'm not disagreeing, but take into account that these games may be much longer since we often don't get 7 inning games any other time during the year when tournaments are time based.

Feb 18, 2014
No doubt that conversation should be had with TB coaches, as we are paying $$ and have options. But HS is different. The HS coach has a captive audience. Can't just pick up and go to the next HS team like you can in TB. From what I have heard the HS coaches know this so they are less inclined to listen to and agree to a parent's "requests". Their way or the highway is their attitude.
I feel like we just bonded here.

Apr 28, 2019
Darn, what does a typical week's schedule look like there?

Like I mentioned generally 2-4 games scheduled a week but may play a DH if game was postponed/cancelled due to weather.

Also coaches will at times play games not on schedule against non conference teams.

We generally play 20 game regular season, then conference tournament, then states if you qualify.

First week of 2020 3 games scheduled. No back to backs which is a plus.

Tryouts begin 3/21. Probably several scrimmages before season starts.

Feb 18, 2014
Like I mentioned generally 2-4 games scheduled a week but may play a DH if game was postponed/cancelled due to weather.

Also coaches will at times play games not on schedule against non conference teams.

We generally play 20 game regular season, then conference tournament, then states if you qualify.

First week of 2020 3 games scheduled. No back to backs which is a plus.

Tryouts begin 3/21. Probably several scrimmages before season starts.
You have to be in a cold weather state with limited time to play. We are already a week into ours and they were throwing ice chunks over the fence the day before the first game.

Apr 1, 2017
My one daughter plays JV, which has the same regular season schedule as V. First game is scheduled for 3/24 and last game is 5/23. They have 35 games in that time. Most years though, a decent chunk of those are cancelled due to rain/snow/cold. Varsity then plays for state and that goes to mid June for finalists.

Aug 21, 2008
Keeping in mind, I was just like your DD's when I was in high school... I was a softball pitcher. While I didn't pitch for my High School team (although looking back, I could've sued and joined the team!!!) I did pitch nearly every single day. One league played Mon and Wed nights, the other Tue and Thur. Then, I'd play tournaments on weekends too. And if you saw me in my teens, I was a skinny rail of a kid... so I wouldn't really buy the argument of having more "muscle" or even more body mass than the girls who pitched for the high school team. I also threw BP to them, which helped my grades as the coach was also my math teacher. Moreover, I got several dates in HS by throwing BP as no other guys in the school could help a girl hit a riseball. And if she broke up with me? Bang, Drop ball right in the ribs at the next practice!!!!!!! (Always throw dropballs to the ribs, if you throw at the head they can duck. At the feet, they can jump. There's now where to turn when it's at the ribs!!!!! And a dropball shows it was on purpose!!!!!).😂😂😂 "Sorry Missy, you should've gone to the movies with me on Saturday!!!!!"

Anyway, my point is, the thought of overuse never entered my mind, or my father's. I'm not suggesting anyone is doing wrong by being concerned about your kid, PLEASE don't misunderstand me. But I do think kids are a lot stronger than we sometimes think or give credit for.

Bill

Apr 28, 2019
You have to be in a cold weather state with limited time to play. We are already a week into ours and they were throwing ice chunks over the fence the day before the first game.

Yes New England. Although with global warming and the Green House effect I’m not sure we will be considered a cold weather region for much longer.

The average March temp is 45’ in my area. It was a gorgeous 70’ Sunny day today. We actually got to hit new bats into the sock nets today which was nice.

I have never mowed my lawn later than November. In 2018 I mowed my lawn into November. In 2019 I mowed into December.

I believe everything runs in cycles but I’ve never seen anything like the past two years weather wise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi